PDA

View Full Version : Another Winter Visitor

Mervin Quah
03-04-2010, 06:07 AM
A visitor that should be going home soon.

Pittas normally spent their time on the ground in the bush and among leave litter and are rather shy however I was forunate to have met a rather brave fella who is willing to reveal itself.

Hooted Pitta
Pitta sordida

Canon 40D + 500 f4
1620hrs, 17 Feb 10, f8, 1/8, ISO 500, Ev + 1.7, Flash - 1 1/3
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g193/mervinpl/_MG_5040.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
03-04-2010, 07:32 AM
From your description you've photographed this guy in its prefered habitat and for that reason I am OK with all the "litter" on the ground. I would however, tone down the black area above the bird's head. Although the head is parallel to the camera I still would have preferred a couple of degrees better HA towards us.

Dave Leroy
03-04-2010, 11:42 AM
A very interesting looking bird and good for you to get the photo.
Very sharp if I am reading the shutter speed of 1/8 second correctly. Nice use of flash as well.
I like the low angle of the shot.
Dave

Rod Warnock
03-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Like the low angle and the definition in bird (particularly at 1/8sec). Isolation from BG enhances image. Both my attempts with pittas (Noisy Pitta and Rainbow Pitta) have messy litter around the feet so it often goes with the territory. You would be well pleased with this image.
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Juan Carlos Vindas
03-04-2010, 09:47 PM
For those like me that are familiar with this birds, it's not hard to understand the difficulty of watching any member of this family. I have to say that this is one of the ''cleanest'' images of a Pitta that I have seen in a long time. Love the combination of colors and the long legs. I would suggest a bill clean up.

Ignacio Yufera
03-05-2010, 12:11 AM
As said above, pittas are never easy. Nice use of flash bringing out the colors. I like the head angle since it shows the bill's length while keeping eye contact. If you're not against cloning, maybe the black patch could go.

Where did you shot this? I just came back from Singapore and would have loved the chance to shoot this bird!

Mervin Quah
03-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Thank you all for all your suggestions and comments. :)

Ignacio - Next time when you are in town do let me know and if time permits, I will take you around for some shooting. This fella was shot in Singapore Botanic Garden.