PDA

View Full Version : Honeybee@work

Sandeep Mall
03-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Taken with Olympus E 500 , Sigma 18-50 macro, FL 50mm, f4, ss 1/250, iso 100
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3127/p1010953.jpg (http://img52.imageshack.us/i/p1010953.jpg/)

Julie Kenward
03-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Welcome to our forum, Sandeep! What a stunning first post you've presented here. First thing I noticed was how beautiful the lighting is! You also have a very nice composition here with the front flowers repeated in the background (BG) and a nice softness as they drop back.

The main problem with the image is that the focal point seems to be on the front flower to the left and the back half of the bee, missing the front half and the flower to the right as well. Try stopping down your aperture next time to around f5.6-f8 and see if that doesn't help you include the entire bee and both flowers in the foreground (FG).

Another thing to watch for in the field when you are creating these images is a clean cut to the flowers - try to get them in or out if at all possible. If this were my image, I'd probably clone out the small orange petal that is cropped off at the right side of the frame and maybe even the front green leaf at the lower left side as well.

Sandeep, it's a very lovely first image and don't be afraid to share with us about what you were trying to create and how you went about doing it - we love to hear the story behind the image as well so we can help you improve with the next round!

Allen Sparks
03-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Lovely image and composition. Love the colors. Agree with Julie about trying a narrower aperture to increase DOF and trying to get the full bee in focus. Increasing ISO to maintain shutter speed with a narrower aperture may have helped with this.

Sandeep Mall
03-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi, Thanks for your reviews and suggestion. I have yet to learn and pickup photoshop and just took to photography few months back. I needed to carry the tripod for this and I will carry your suggestions next time around. Thanks again

Mike Moats
03-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey Sandeep, cool comp, like the lighting and wish the bee had a little more focus. I would also crop just a little off the top.

Ken Childs
03-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Sandeep, the main problems with the shot have already been pointed out but I wanted to say that this is not a bad effort for someone that's just getting started in photography.

Vida van der Walt
03-06-2010, 02:31 AM
Agree with the advice from Jules. Apart from that this is a lovely image and the colours are beautiful.:)