PDA

View Full Version : Dragged into this world.

Marc Mol
03-03-2010, 04:41 PM
It's never easy getting dragged into this world!
This poor foal had to suffer the indignity of being dragged along the African plain whilst mother nature ran it's course.
All the time kicking and bucking to help mum along by trying to get some purchase on the ground.
For me, a once in a lifetime experience.
Mapula Lodge, Moremi GR- Botswana Sept '09

D3 500VR 1/1000s ISO200@f/5.6

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/Nature/Botswana-Sept-2009/D316013a/799835590_dt3mw-X2.jpg

Harshad Barve
03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Images from this series are for LIFE Marc:) , terrific sighting and you have done extremly well to capture it nicely , OOF WB in BG works very well here.
TFS

david cramer
03-03-2010, 09:29 PM
An extraordinary moment captured fully. I guess foal zebras get their "legs" very quickly!

Betsie Storm
03-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Very special image, Marc-well captured! New meaning to "hit the ground running".:) I also love the squiggly patterning on the foal's back.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Lovely experience. Not may people would have seen this. Why was the Zebra running?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
03-04-2010, 04:00 AM
Arriving in this world with a bump!

Marc, a good capture as normally they are lying on the ground to give birth. Mother must have been nervous or young. In the 'bush' they soon get their legs and within a short while can keep up with most things, or you become part of the lunch menu. Did you stay much longer with them?

Steve

RakeshDhareshwar
03-04-2010, 05:53 AM
This is 'once in a lifetime ' image . Just depicts the struggle they have to endevour right from birth.

Ken Watkins
03-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Marc,

Nice one, I would love to see something like this, pity about the Gnus!

D. Robert Franz
03-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Amazing natural history moment for sure.

Sid Garige
03-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Fantastic timing Marc. Great moment very well captured.

Stu Bowie
03-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Right place at the right time Marc. Treasure this, as what are the chances you will witness this again. Ive wanted to catch this at my "nature reserve close to my house" but the closest Ive come is just seeing the very young foals.

Paul Taylor
03-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Very special. What a thing to see. Any clue there at the time as to why?

Austin Thomas
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Right place right time. Well done Marc,

A great moment in Nature very well recorded.

tfs

Austin

Marc Mol
03-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Many thanks for the positive comments everyone.

Arriving in this world with a bump!

Marc, a good capture as normally they are lying on the ground to give birth. Mother must have been nervous or young. In the 'bush' they soon get their legs and within a short while can keep up with most things, or you become part of the lunch menu. Did you stay much longer with them?

Steve

Thanks Steve

Up until some 7/8 years ago ( Ken W may have a more accurate figure?) the surrounding area of Mapula Lodge used to be in a hunting concession and subsequently the plains game are still somewhat skittish,
so as soon as we started to slowly approach the expectant mother in our vehicle, still at a distance of over 100M, she just got up and waddled slowly off dragging the foal of course.
So we kept a reasonable distance, not wanting tp put mother and foal under any more undue stress, but at the same time mindful that they not get too close to the Wild Dog pack close by.

I submitted some other images & story a few months ago here:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46824

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47027

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47178

then with the Wild Dog interaction here:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47377

Ken Watkins
03-05-2010, 02:44 AM
Marc,
Here is my limited knowledge of Mapula, all of the Delta was divided into concessions which could be put to any use but were subject to hunting restrictions and quotas. The concession where Mapula is is NG 12, which is just north of Vumbura, with whom it shares some areas for game driving.

This has a Bufallo fence running through it although it does not form it's border. When most of the concessions were negotiated in 1995 NG12 was not taken up, around 9 years ago it was purchased by a Botswanan couple so becoming one of the few locally owned lodges. It operated under another name until 3 years ago, but I cannot remember what it was.
Finally I am not aware that any hunting has taken place, I think the main reason for the skittish nature of some of the animals is lack of vehicles it is after all a gigantic concession and has only 20 beds and at best 3 vehicles operating. Exclusive or what? and relatively cheap (for Botswana).

Marc Mol
03-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Ken

Was told by our favourite guide Dicks, that it used to be a hunting concession.:D
...........enough said.

Danny Laredo
03-05-2010, 09:46 AM
This is so rare to view yet alone capture. Fantastic sighting and image.