PDA

View Full Version : Keep It Or Trash It?

Jim Fenton
03-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Anhinga on a dreary day in January.

Bright clouds, totally back lit and kinda foggy. Definitely a high key image.

Perch leaves some to be desired but overall I kinda like the high key approach.

Your thoughts?

Also...what appears to be jaggies on the edge of the tail feathers isn't as it shows in the original RAW file before I ever sharpen it at all?

Nikon D700, 500VR, TC17EII, ISO 1000, f8, 1/160, CW metering, NearUniWB preset, +2.0 EV

Matthew Studebaker
03-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi Jim - I certainly wouldn't trash it. Perfect exposure and detail. That jagged edge appearence is simply that we are starting to see the barred plumage of the tail. I dont think this is a contest winnter with the flat sky background but I would never trash a shot like this - it's very nice in a more subtle way.

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Keep it. of course. I like the high key effect. Excellent details and composition.

Axel Hildebrandt
03-03-2010, 05:58 PM
It works for me because of the interesting pose and eye contact. Maybe a bit more contrast? I would try to not sharpen the tail or are the jaggies there even before sharpening after resizing? At the top of the tail it looks like the pattern of the plumage, in the middle it does look jagged.

Jim Fenton
03-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Jaggies are there full frame Axel...I think Matthew is right relative to the plumage. Looking through my other Anhinga images that day, some taken with another camera, lens combination, I can see the same thing depending on the relative position of the tail.

Dave Leroy
03-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I certainly thinks this is a keeper. It has a very interesting pose, prehistoric sort of look.
Nice composition as well.
Dave

Aidan Briggs
03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Would definitely keep it. There are a lot of Anhinga images around, but not many high hey ones. I love the perfect exposure, and eye contact. I do wish for a bit less steep of an angle.

Myer Bornstein
03-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Keep it. It looks like an Audubon drawing

Randy Stout
03-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Jim:

Keeper.

Might be fun to try Viveza software to add some interest to the sky.

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
03-06-2010, 12:01 PM
For me this is a keeper. It's nice to change it up a little bit and no always see the same types of pictures. The pose is just right and it all comes together nicely.