PDA

View Full Version : Having His Way (in colour)

Paul Taylor
03-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Got a little time to see how it looks in colour today.

http://paul-k-imburu.smugmug.com/photos/801672089_obveY-XL.jpg

Sony A700 70-400G @300mm f/5.6 1/320s ISO 640

Harshad Barve
03-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I must say color image is more powerfull
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
03-03-2010, 02:28 PM
I knew you would say that Harshadbhai :)
For me the B&W is the winner here - not only because I love wildlife in B&W but because of the BG that pulls my eye on this one

Marc Mol
03-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Sorry Morkel, have to agree with Harshad, it just looks more impressive than the B&W version. Taking nothing away from the B&W, Paul. ;)
Could also try and lighten the eyes on the female a touch, and bring out that lovely amber colour even more.
TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
03-04-2010, 12:40 AM
The Colour version takes away our gaze from the "serene" lioness to the expressive lion. In the black and white the feeling of "underwhelmed" as Ken had aptly summed it up, was pretty evident.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
03-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Paul, would agree the colour has more impact, something the lion is lacking in by the expression of the lioness and Ken's previous comment. The crop really doesn't work that well for me sadly, although I think I know what you were trying to show. Would like to see a wider crop to incorporate the lionesses feet & more on the rhs side.

Steve

Stu Bowie
03-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Hi Paul, when I posted two images recently, B&W, and colour, I preferred my B&W image. Most others preferred the colour version. With yours, Im going with your B&W too. There's nothing wrong with this, but I liked the high contrast of the B&W version. Well done.

Austin Thomas
03-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Another vote for B&W here.

The facial expressions make this image for me, not the colours. With colour my eyes are drawn away form the expressions. It is only my opinion....

Cheers

Austin

Paul Taylor
03-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks a lot everyone. There's a lot of food for thought. Personally I still prefer the B&W, and for me the expression of the lioness was part of the reason I wanted him dominant and her as low as possible (in three matings she didn't make a face once!).. but I do see what you're saying there guys (both about her expression and the crop), and there's sense in it.

Brent Wellander
03-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Quite a spectacular image in either b&w or colour Paul...but I would give the edge to the the b&w version :)