PDA

View Full Version : Egmont Island - iR

Michael Pancier
03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4403180505_8b27b6e453_o.jpg

Shot of the shoreline on the NW coast of Egmont Island, just off Fort de Soto. It was very cloudy the day I was there. Not enough contrast for IR, but I tried it anyway with hope that I would be able to work on it on the computer. I tried everything but was not happy with the results. I then tried Topaz Adjust 4 which just came out, and the drama setting, really helped to bring out the details in what an otherwise muddy image. it looks more like traditional B&W rather than IR, so what the heck.

Deep IR Converted 20d + 10-22 Canon
1/20
f/16
ISO 100

Dave Mills
03-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi Michael, Very nicely composed image. I like how the water line is coming out from the left and wraps the land. The sky adds alot of drama to the image also. I used some levels adj on the image since it seemed a bit flat. I also took out the caste and cropped a small amount off the top.

Dan Wolin
03-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I have always been fascinated with trying IR and never have. I really like this and it works for me. Gives a nice dreamy feel to this scene. The clouds have some nice impact as well.

Michael Pancier
03-03-2010, 12:10 PM
david, I like the difference the level adjustments made. which adjusts did you make? I'm gonna try them.

thanks.

Dave Mills
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Michael, Only one...auto levels. Sometimes it works great other times it doesn't. In this case it did everything I wanted it to....

Michael Pancier
03-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Michael, Only one...auto levels. Sometimes it works great other times it doesn't. In this case it did everything I wanted it to....

maybe I should try it for fun. Don't think I've ever had it work.
Thanks

Roman Kurywczak
03-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey Michael,
Nice comp and use of the IR.....you may also want to try a bit of dodging/burning on the fronds......just to give them the bit of seperation from the sky more.....will make a big impact. Like Dave's tweak too!

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Like the comp on this one a lot Michael. I would suggest the High Pass Filter LCE that I did on the other image you posted.