PDA

View Full Version : USA trip, advice.

Meint Sijp
02-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Hi i would like to heare if anyone in here could come wit some advice for a good place to go in the usa for birdingtrip. I'm planing to see if i could come over there this year since i've never been in the country and where it would bee good to go. The best time to go and muby if some one know a place that would be fair in price as well. don't know anyone in the states so therefore this thread. Allso muby if there would be a good birdphotography course somewhere so i could go to this muby and learn some of the places to take nature photos and meet other photographers. I have no ideer what the cost of such a thing would bee therefor i'm looking inoto it know.

Hope i wrote everything tdown you would need to know to help or else just ask me.

Alfred Forns
02-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi Meint Let me know around what time you are talking about We have members all over and I'm sure we can come up with something good

The season will determine where to go !!!

Jim Poor
02-24-2008, 02:45 PM
South East Arizona is right on a migratory path in both directions. One can see everything from desert to mountain species there including up to 14 species of hummingbirds in one day (that's the record, but routinely saw 9 species with little effort.)

The area of Sierra Vista, Arizona is a great place to stay for a while and located well enough to travel.

For the bigger shore bird fan, there is Florida.

Bob Ettinger
02-24-2008, 07:03 PM
I think to help we need some additional information such as some idea of the dates. As you know different dates would dictate different locations

Meint Sijp
02-25-2008, 06:58 PM
The dates i think it might be in the summer but ot sure if the sumer is the same here in dk as in the usa btu might want to go July, August, September but no clue on the weather andconditions for birds there at that time of year????????

Alfred Forns
02-25-2008, 11:04 PM
For those dates my area is very hot and would not recommend I do lots of PhotoShop during August and September !!!! I'm sure people up north will have plenty of suggestions

Jared Gricoskie
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Meint,

I would recommend a multi location trip hitting various ecosystems to get the most variety. Also what kinds of birds you like to shot? That would direct my travels. I prefer small perching birds, Warblers, Sparrows, and Finches so I like my location in the Colorado Rocky Mountains very much. Northern New Mexico, and Arizona are hotspots, as well as into California for the forests to the ocean. Going from the mountains to the sea shore would give you a lot of different habitats to shoot and experience and allow you to hit a lot of birdie spots.

I'm sure we have plenty of folks here that could point you to great spots anywhere in the US.

Meint Sijp
02-29-2008, 01:06 PM
The birds are lilttle difficult like ny caind, but would like to get some shots of eagles, owles, or predators at all. also some wild life crocs otters, and badger. but not sure if they have this in the same area. my equipment is not the best for birds i recon only have 100-400 IS L as the biggest lense and can see the most of you guys get good pics with 500 or 600 lenses. not sure how much it have to say............. But thanks for your replys and help so far much apressiatet.

Jim Poor
02-29-2008, 01:24 PM
If you don't mind feeding stations, you can get some fantabulous bird pictures at several places in SE Arizona with your 100-400.
There is also a Golden Eagle nest nearby that is active most every year.
In Sheelite canyon on FT Huachuca, Arizona you can find rare Mexican Spotted Owls with regularity.
On the way to the canyon, there is a picnic area that hosts a pair of Elegant Trogons every year.

Meint Sijp
03-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks to every one for the advice given. il'll have a look at some f the places and see what is going to happen.