PDA

View Full Version : Minus12c

Mike Dale
02-24-2008, 08:19 AM
I wanted to get a shot of the Snow Geese taking of but they were uncooperative this morning. The D3 performed perfectly even though it had frost forming on it. The shot was taken at Middle Creek WMA in Pennsylvania.

http://mike-dale.com/WebPictures/Minus12c.jpg

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi Mike,

I really like the colors and hues in this image. The inclusion of the small patch of bush on the left horizon helps to balance out the larger hill on the right. I like the reeds in the FG but would have gone with a slightly higher elevation to get them completely silhouetted against the frozen water. Now the tops of them are interesting the dark BG landmass.

In the FG, I like it dark as you have it but you should try lightening it up to to see how you like it. Many times I will play around with things like this just to see if another interpretation will be more to my liking. I think that the sky is just the right proportion to the rest of the image. Well done.

Alfred Forns
02-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I like the suggestions by Robert Just played around with see what you think

No changes just teaks in contrast here and there Imagine it all depends how it looked when the image was made !!!

Mike Dale
02-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I like the blues, yes it's nicer. Thanks guys.

I'll go back next month when it's a little warmer and see if I can catch the Snow Geese taking off.

Roman Kurywczak
02-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Hey Mike,
Alfreds Repost definitely pops more!
Roman

David Kennedy
02-25-2008, 02:13 AM
I'd be happy to see a balance between your original processing and Alfredo's suggestion. To make an analogy, I feel that your original was too quiet, but that the boosted saturation of the repost is too loud. The lightened foreground does reveal that there are some cattails creeping into the left side of the frame that distract somewhat in they way that they merge into the grove of trees on the horizon. A little extra height would have also helped to avoid the cattails on the right 2/3's of the image from merging into the dark form of the ridge. Having some separation between them would help to make them distinct elements of the composition.

Harold Davis
02-25-2008, 04:55 PM
agree 100% with david, nice critique sir!!