PDA

View Full Version : The Fish River Canyon

Morkel Erasmus
03-03-2010, 01:58 AM
It's been a while since I've found time to process some landscape shots, so to scratch the itch I decided to convert my Fish River Canyon HDR shot to a high-contrast B&W image.

Would love to have your thoughts on this - I quite like it...

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS @ 18mm
f16 @ ISO-100
handheld standing on the edge

peter delaney
03-03-2010, 02:19 AM
I think that there is not enough tonal range in image for it to work in B&W .I also feel the image needs a focal point .

I hope you do not think I am being too negative , just giving an my honest critique

peter

Dave Mills
03-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi Morkel, I tend to agree with Peter on this regarding center of interest and tonal range. Even though there are darks and midrange tones it does seem flat. Compositionally a concentration more on the center rock formation might of strengthened the image...

Roman Kurywczak
03-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Hey Morkel,
Well....to say the least I need to pay you a visit to go to this place. I agree with the above comments.....go for a bigger tonal range.....then jack the contrast! I then feel you will have a more prominant focal point to carry it. Tweak it some more.....I'm packing for Fla.....so won't get a chance....leaving at 5am my time......sorry. Will be in contact....so post a re-work if you get a chance.

Myer Bornstein
03-03-2010, 07:25 PM
I agree the image is to flat needs something to stand out

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2010, 08:16 PM
I tried some tweak - all with Shadows/Highlights in PSCS4. My settings are in the next post.

The repost does not look nearly as rich as it does in PS.

Robert Amoruso
03-05-2010, 08:18 PM
The Settings.

Morkel Erasmus
03-06-2010, 02:55 AM
thanks for the honest comments everyone and for your repost Robert. my home workstation is in for repairs and on the laptop I'm working on I can't discern the improvements as much as the screen isn't calibrated.

here is one I converted from scratch - in order to obtain more tonal range I pushed the saturation of various colour channels before conversion here...

Roman Kurywczak
03-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey Morkel,
I felt the reposts were still a little flat overall w/o a good sense of depth......so for your perusal, I present the first ever landscape collaboration between Dave Mills and myself. I did 3 levels tweaks of different strength....Darkened the left.....lightened the center prominant butte and hit the whites in levels on the RH side. Dave gave the crop to pull it off center and give the butte it's prominant position. Whadayathink? perhaps yet another option for you.

Morkel Erasmus
03-10-2010, 06:50 PM
thanks for the effort and colab - Dave & Roman :)

I like the off-centre position of the butte but not too sure if the front is too dark for me?

regarding composition - hang on, I'll upload a new version of this scene sometime next week (don't want to flood the gallery with similar images) where I did a 7-vertical-image-pano-stitch of this scene which provides greater depth and lead-in...:)