PDA

View Full Version : Western Ribbon Snake

D. Robert Franz
03-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Photographed this western ribbon snake hunting tadpoles in duckweed covered pond during the 08 ICF Pro Tour from my permanant blind.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Shutter speed: 1/800 sec
Aperture: 10
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 800
Focal length: 1200mm

Sabyasachi Patra
03-03-2010, 01:17 AM
I remember your fine images from that contest. I like the low angle. The eye contact is nice. A lower aperture may have helped blurring the body part behind the head. Overall, a nice image. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Harshad Barve
03-03-2010, 05:00 AM
Super image on all counts
TFS

D. Robert Franz
03-03-2010, 08:00 AM
. A lower aperture may have helped blurring the body part behind the head. Overall, a nice image. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Thanks for the kind words Saby... Notice I was using a 600mmF4 with the 2X.. I usually try to stop down a bit with this combination for sharpness. I like 1 full stop but here I just went 2/3 stop to maintain as much shutter speed as possible and still get better optical quality..

David Smith
03-03-2010, 08:19 AM
Great image... Like the HA and the sharpness of the image. The tongue sticking out just adds to the overall appeal of the image..

Dave

Todd Frost
03-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Nice image Dale. Love the look coming out of the duckweed. In an ideal world a little separation between head and body would be nice but you can't always get subjects cooperation:). Well done, I would be happy with this in my files. TFS
Todd

thijs broekkamp
03-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Nice! Real cool how the tong came out and you see a part of his body in the background!

I spot some high iso effects (i don't know how it's called in english, the parts you get when the iso go higher)

Marc Mol
03-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Great use of DOF here Dale, nice lighting, eye contact and tongue out, all good.
A little NR on BG would further enhance. There's nothing like a good prime to accept TC's well, this really proves that point.
TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
03-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the kind words Saby... Notice I was using a 600mmF4 with the 2X.. I usually try to stop down a bit with this combination for sharpness. I like 1 full stop but here I just went 2/3 stop to maintain as much shutter speed as possible and still get better optical quality..

Dale,
I missed noticing the 2x. Opening up 2/3 stops is not going to blur the background much. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Stu Bowie
03-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Good use of DOF, and I like the bright red tongue. If this was mine, I would run some NR on the BG.

Austin Thomas
03-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Very nice Dale,

You captured the moment very well. Agree that NR would improve the BKGR.

tfs

Austin

D. Robert Franz
03-04-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm getting comments about noise in this image.. It was shot at 800 ISO on my mk3 which should be fine. I looked at the original at 100% and really can't see any noise.. Am I blind? Here is a 100% crop. Are we seeing jpeg artifacts? Raw image looks OK to me. Color blotches are from the duckweed in the BG??

Steve Canuel
03-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Noise looks more pronounced in the OP than it does in the 100% crop above. To my eye it looks mostly like yellowish spots made to stand out from jpg compression (and from a very close up view). And more noticeable on the OOF bottom strip than the area above the snake. Not really all that bad in my opinion.

D. Robert Franz
03-04-2010, 09:51 PM
To my eye it looks mostly like yellowish spots made to stand out from jpg compression (and from a very close up view). And more noticeable on the OOF bottom strip than the area above the snake. Not really all that bad in my opinion.

And thats my point, I think the noise people think they're seeing is really just OOF yellowsish and light spots in the duckweed....

Nate Chappell
03-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Love the red tongue and the low angle here Dale.:cool: