PDA

View Full Version : Battery Point Lighthouse, Crescent City, CA

Dan Brown
03-02-2010, 09:01 PM
This is Battery Point Lighthouse in Crescent City Harbor, Del Norte co, CA. The waves were coming over the A st. Jetty pretty regularly on this day, pretty impression (you had to be there!). This shot was capture as the wave was dying.

I believe that this jetty is where a birder was swept to his death a year ago :(

Harshad Barve
03-02-2010, 09:46 PM
excellent perspective and image Dan
TFS

Chris Hansen
03-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi Dan,

Glad to see that you escape from the valley to go to the coast sometimes. The surf has been pretty rough quite a few times this winter. In fact tomorrow afternoon the surf swells are predicted to run to 19.5 feet at high tide. When it gets like that there isn't even much of a beach that is safe to walk on. Give me a holler if you are passing through Willits on the 101.

God bless,

chris

Alfred Forns
03-03-2010, 08:33 AM
That is one good looking lighthouse !!! Always wanted to go out there for a look at the surf !!!

DonaldNel
03-03-2010, 03:27 PM
An interesting note on this lighthouse -- during the Tsunami that devestated Crescent City after the 1964 Alaska quake -- the light keepers reported the multiple waves split and went around the this light house so it wasn't wiped out. The base of the A street pier was a huge oil tank farm that was set on fire.

This light is sites in the bay, but is accessible only at low tides. You can walk to it then.

Jeroen Wijnands
03-05-2010, 06:50 AM
I've seen loads of shots of this lighthouse but not very many with that dropping water. Nice!