PDA

View Full Version : On Fire

Nick Palmieri
03-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Took this image last year during a very successful trip to Longwood Gardens in PA. This was taken with a 40D, a 70-200 mm lens at 200 with 12mm ext. tube. ISO 100, SS 180 f/11, with a flash with a diffuser cover. It had rained heavily that morning but cleared up enough to get some really great images.

Julie Kenward
03-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Nick, it's good to have you back! This is really gorgeous! I love the longer lens and extension tube combo - they really brought out all the raindrops and details beautifully. I really like the soft version you have presented but wanted to see what a bit of pop would add so I did a levels adjustment/contrast 2 and then changed the layer to soft light blend mode and this is what came up. Not better...just different. Seems to really pop that orange. See what you think...

Jackie Schuknecht
03-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Beautiful image and the middle really looks like it is on fire. Jules my personal preference is for the first with the more muted colours. But I am sure everyone will have there fav. Very nice Nick.

Harshad Barve
03-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Excellent image Nick, water drops and colors are just awesome , another vote for OP
TFS

Vida van der Walt
03-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Beautiful image Nick. Love the comp and water drops. Another vote for the softer colours.

Ed Vatza
03-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Without considering Jules' repost, I think the OP is absolutely lovely. The comp is terrific. The color looks great. I really like it.

Now introduce Jules' version. I find that I am a fan of bolder colors in my flowers (just look at my post immediately above this one). And I too like to use Nik filters, etc. to just give it that boost. So I guess I am saying that side by side, I would take the re-post with more pop. But again that's just me.

Nick Palmieri
03-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks guys. I like them both.

Ken Childs
03-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Beautiful, Nick.

I was playing with this image last night when Jules put up her version. I ended up with something very similar except I'd lowered the reds so the orange wasn't quite so bright as her version. I guess my vote goes to something that's between the 2 versions. :)

Nick Palmieri
03-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks gang. I ran it through Topaz Detail and this is what I came up with... Wasn't it enough that there were so many cool water lilly's to photograph?? Now there is a million PP scenarios. I still like them all.

Julie Kenward
03-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Nick, that's gorgeous as well! It's amazing what you can do when the bones of an image are strong. ;)

Barbara Kile
03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
I love each one! I'll take them all! ;)
Seriously, the lighting is perfect, so that allows one to make any part of the image pop. The orange and purple is a lovely combo. Great job.

Mike Moats
03-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey Nick, an outstanding image, this really has such a great pop. All the version have there own unique look.

Adrian David
03-07-2010, 05:17 AM
On fire, it is....Beautiful colors and details.

Myer Bornstein
03-07-2010, 06:46 AM
All the images are great in the own way Which you like depends on your mood :)