PDA

View Full Version : Re-sizing for forums

Melvin Grey
02-24-2008, 06:20 AM
My 24 inch editing monitor is calibrated and profiled monthly using a Spyder 2 and I can produce good quality, colour correct prints which match - as far as a reflective print can match a transmitted light image on a monitor - the image on the monitor. Images are converted from RAW capture using ACR and careful use of the 'exposure' and 'recovery' sliders used to make sure no highlights blink red. After any more optimisation the images are converted to 16bt Adobe RGB Tiffs for any further work necessary. An image for the Avian W&F forum was converted to 8bt, re-sized to 800px, col profile changed to sRGB and 'saved as' a jpg using the quality option slider to achieve the required kb size. As a check, I re-opened this jpg image in CS3, which automatically opens it in the ACR interface - now the image showed a few minute blinking red highlights, literally they were minute but, when the image appeared in the forum, there were some comments that the highlights were definately blown. As I am very new to BPN I would like your comments and advice on my prep. work please. I also noticed that several other images were judged to have 'blown white areas' but the image viewed on my, admittedly un-calibrated, e-mail and general work computer the areas looked as if they contained detail - the monitor calibration strip looks fine!
Thanks for your help and a GREAT website,
Melvin Grey

Axel Hildebrandt
02-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Your workflow sounds right. Could you post a link to the image in question and did you check the histogram to see if there is a spike at the right side?

Dave Courtenay
02-24-2008, 07:17 AM
I had a problem when using the CS3 'save for web' option, Now i just 'save as' and do not have any problems, I have known others have problems using 'save for the web' as well,Its seems an intermittent problem so seems to come and go

Melvin Grey
02-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Your workflow sounds right. Could you post a link to the image in question and did you check the histogram to see if there is a spike at the right side?
Thanks for your reply - the image was my first White-tailed Eagle in Avian W&F not the most recent one posted to-day. I am afraid I deleted the re-sized image so can't check the histogram but there was no spike on the full size image

Melvin Grey
02-24-2008, 08:37 AM
I had a problem when using the CS3 'save for web' option, Now i just 'save as' and do not have any problems, I have known others have problems using 'save for the web' as well,Its seems an intermittent problem so seems to come and go
Thanks Dave but I did not use the CS3 re-size for web option, I did it manually as detailed above

Axel Hildebrandt
02-24-2008, 08:43 AM
It's this one, right?
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5672

I think what they meant are the whites at the top of the head and right wing. They don't look overexposed on my monitor but I would tone them down. Since the light was not behind you, it looks a bit unbalanced. There is only a small spike in the histogram.

Melvin Grey
02-26-2008, 10:45 AM
It's this one, right?
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5672

I think what they meant are the whites at the top of the head and right wing. They don't look overexposed on my monitor but I would tone them down. Since the light was not behind you, it looks a bit unbalanced. There is only a small spike in the histogram.
Thanks again for your advice and help,

Melvin

Robert Amoruso
02-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Melvin,

Check out this link: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2472.

Also, I find that the Save for Web option will increase the contrast in images and for whites on the edge, blow them out. I will purposely lower whites (during my levels adjustment) so as to lessen this affect.