PDA

View Full Version : Long distance champion of the world!

Ken Childs
03-02-2010, 04:40 PM
At least when it comes to bugs. The Monarch Butterfly no longer holds the record for the longest insect migration. The record is now held by the aptly named Wandering Glider, Pantala flavescens. These occasionally show up here by the hundreds and I have yet to see one land on anything.

Canon EOS REBEL XT
Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS @ 400mm
Manual mode
1/640"
F5.6
ISO: 200
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
CS3

The only trick I've found to photographing flying dragons is to watch for one patrolling an area and then try to learn its route. Focus on something that's about the right distance away, hold that focus and then fire away as they pass.

Julie Kenward
03-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Amazing! I mean really AMAZING! We don't get too many "if flight" images in macro and this one is really special. I think the way he tucks his little legs up is the best part! Super focus, Ken, and lovely colors. It's a real treat to see them in flight like this...thanks so much for sharing.

Don Lacy
03-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Hi Ken one of my Favorite dragons they have been known to cross the pond and visit our neighbors in Europe an amazing little feat if you ask me. As far as getting them to land it happens every once in awhile http://lacy.smugmug.com/Other/Dragonflies/9751047_xzKuj#663976022_afubA
really sweet image BTW really like how the BG compliments the Glider, might be tempted to crop it from the right.

Ken Childs
03-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi Ken one of my Favorite dragons they have been known to cross the pond and visit our neighbors in Europe an amazing little feat if you ask me. As far as getting them to land it happens every once in awhile http://lacy.smugmug.com/Other/Dragonflies/9751047_xzKuj#663976022_afubA
really sweet image BTW really like how the BG compliments the Glider, might be tempted to crop it from the right.
LOL! It looks like it's hanging on for dear life!

I wasn't really sure how to handle the crop. I'd be interested to hear what other have to say about that.

Here's some info on the migration.
http://migrantwatch.in/blog/tag/globe-skimmer/
It's also amazing in that most species of dragons need 1 to 4 years to develop from an egg into an adult and these can do it in a matter of weeks which is something I can confirm. I had one emerge out of a horse water trough that had been filled for only 6 weeks.

Nick Palmieri
03-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Wow, I haven't been to this forum for a while and forgot what I was missing! A "GIF" I would be tempted to take a bit off the right especially since there is a slight bright spot on the right side. Very nice capture!

Allen Sparks
03-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Wonderful in-flight shot. I know it is hard to do from experience trying. I might also try cropping some from the right but it is a brilliant image as is.

Kurtis Diffenbaugh
03-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Wow, really good flight photograph Ken.

Vida van der Walt
03-03-2010, 01:03 AM
Excellent in flight shot Ken! It must be really difficult to capture and you did a wonderful job. I love how the legs are tucked in, the DF is pin sharp and I like the extra space in this.:)

Stuart Frohm
03-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Thanks very much for posting the excellent image and helpful, interesting information!

You might try a substantial crop from the bottom.

Ed Vatza
03-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Whatever your "trick", it works Ken. Excellent capture. Actually, I like the position in the frame. It seems perfect. So if I did crop anything, I would do it proportionally to the frame to keep the d-fly in the same relative position. How's that for cropping advice?!?!? :D

Ken Childs
03-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments! :)

Julie Brown
03-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Ken, this is the first photo I have seen of a dragonfly in flight. You really nailed this one!:D

Mike Moats
03-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Hey Ken, these shots alwas amaze me. Great details, good position.

Markus Jais
03-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the explanation on how you did it. This is very helpful.
Your technique worked perfectly here as this is one amazing flight shot. Perfect sharpness and background. The light is beautiful and the dragonfly has the perfect position in the frame.
This images makes me looking forward to the next dragonfly season here in Bavaria, which should still be at least two month away.

Markus