PDA

View Full Version : Kona Sunset

Billy White
03-02-2010, 04:19 PM
my first post to this forum - sunset in Kona - my wife and I chase sunsets around the world - may post some from Zanzibar

comments please

Bill

Dave Mills
03-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi Bill, First off, welcome to the forum! You caught a pretty sunset and offset the sun nicely. I noticed the image was very underexposed and applied S/H to it and brought up the exposure. I like how the silouettes show on the left side. They are well defined with only a small merge. I cropped out part of the right side due to the strong merge which hurt the silouette's outline. There is still a substantial merge on the right but with less overall black...

Hazel Grant
03-02-2010, 05:34 PM
Great capture, but my first impression was its darkness. Dave's redo brings it more to life, though I do think I'd like the clouds a bit darker. Did you happen to capture this with the sun slightly down more? Just wondering how that view might appear. I love sunsets, too and have captured a few. Looking forwrd to more.

Dan Wolin
03-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Welcome Bill - wish I was there right now. I digress. Nice framing and colors - classic Hawaii sunset.

Roman Kurywczak
03-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi Bill,
Welcome to the forum! Dave's repost brought out the shadow areas nicely. Please also post the specs (Camera, lens, SS, f stop, etc) as this helps us in the evaluation also. Looking forward to more post including the Zanzibar images!

Billy White
03-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks everyone

firstly I forgot to add the shooting specs - this was shoot in 2007 - Nikon D2x, 17-55 f2.8 at 35mm f8.0 for 1/250
Dave - I underexposed it -1 on puporse in order to keep the sun reflection from blowing out and this also made the clouds darker - if I did it today I would bracket 3-5 shoots with my D3x and merge them with a tonemapped version -

Hazel - yes I have a whole series of this sunset but I picked this one for the long sun reflection

I will post more including Zanzibar and Kenya but they may be darker than you expect - thanks again

Bill