View Full Version : Screaming Snail Kite

Bob Miller
03-02-2010, 12:20 AM
Nikon D-300
200-400mm F4 at 400mm
HH
1/2000 sec at f4.5
ISO 800

ALL comments welcome. I would especially be interested in comments regarding the background and how it might be improved.

Dave Mills
03-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Hi Bob,I like the fact you caught the bird with his mouth open. Definately adds interest. I also like that you positioned the subject so he had room to move into. Good detail in the feathers but would have wished for a better wing position. You were shooting at F4.5 which is very close to your maximum opening. A point to remember is the farther your subject is from the backround the more muted it will be. I also realise that very often you don't have that ability. I would try a round of USM on the bird and crop the bush on the right which will still give the bird plenty of room and accentuate the bird.

arash_hazeghi
03-02-2010, 03:24 AM
Very beautiful Bob, captured the bird sharp against nice BG! open beak also noted, if you have the frame before or after with the near wing in better position that would take this to the top. well done and TFS

Alfred Forns
03-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Fully agree with comments You are doing well with the bg but just need wings to be all up or down, just makes them look better !! Excellent capture !!

Bill Dix
03-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Bob, I really like the BG as presented. Composition is nice and open beak is fantastic. Wing position noted above.

Lance Peters
03-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi - Agree with all of the above points - once you have him in your sights - let rip - push the shutter button and keep firing - will come up with a good wing position.
Like the BG - Has a Autumn feel.
TFS

Harold Davis
03-02-2010, 04:23 PM
perfect advice from lance!! fire away!! will surely have the perfect keeper wing position. nice job with the colors and exposure here.

Bob Miller
03-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice and encouraging comments. Unfortunately, I don't have any other frames of this one.