PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron with Nestlings

donaldmullaney
03-01-2010, 10:34 PM
It was a cloudy and rainy morning at Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Boynton Beach, Fl. Most of the birds were hunkered down and I waited this group out until the youngsters raised up enough to see. I tried several compositions on this one but I like this one the best even though it leaves the adult bird in the center. Showing the habitat reveals more of the moody scene. (IMHO)

Canon 7D
Canon 300mm
Canon 580 flash with Better Beamer
Monopod

Dave Leroy
03-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Interesting looking photo. The adult bird seems quiterelaxed about it all. I particularly like how the two young birds are facing the adult with a bit of separation between their heads.
I agree that photo might be presented in a couple different ways, and a bit off the right would also work fine for me.
Nicely Done.
Dave

Tony Whitehead
03-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Good use of flash - birds show well against the darker BG. ?Steel-eye showing in the one chick and a little more eye contact from the adult would be nice. I think a vertical crop would work better. As presented the adult is too centered for my taste.

Arthur Morris
03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
A VERT original might have been a better option and I too like the dark BKGR look. You did a good job of choosing your perspective.