PDA

View Full Version : Fm Red-necked Grebe and Reflections

Terry Olmsted
02-24-2008, 01:17 AM
Taken Feb. 23, 2008.
Canon XTi 400 5.6L 1/1600s f5.6 ISO 400 As Eval Metering one-shot AF

Doug Brown
02-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Interesting shot Terry. A lower angle would have been nice, and the bird looks a little over-sharpened. I love the ripples in the water. Perhaps a little more room the the left of the bird.

John Cooper
02-24-2008, 01:47 AM
Just love the ripple patterns where the Grebe swims into the cloud reflections Terry - unique capture!!!
The whites on the Grebe, however look a little hot on my monitor.

Tony Kirkby
02-24-2008, 04:59 AM
Angle could be lower but nice shot. Have you tried Black and White on this one?

Terry Olmsted
02-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the comments! Doug, getting a lower angle would have been good, but I would have had to be in the water :). There was minimal sharpening - I think what you are seeing are reflections on the water drops on the feathers since the bird had just come up from a dive. John, on my monitor the whites look OK with the possible exception of the white on the head. Tony, I have not tried black and white - I love blue, so that would be hard for me to do :).

Bonnie Block
02-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Terry,
The water here is amazing---and I know you could not get lower. The white on the cheek does look a bit hot for me as well.
Very nice!

Terry Olmsted
02-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks very much, Bonnie. I might play with the editor to see if I can tone down the white on the cheek. In any case,
isn't it wonderful to get some sun every now and then!

Bonnie Block
02-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks very much, Bonnie. I might play with the editor to see if I can tone down the white on the cheek. In any case,
isn't it wonderful to get some sun every now and then!
It has been wonderful! And I have actually managed to have days of from work when the sun was out.
What happened to today? ;)

hal bruce
02-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Terry, On my 22" monitor this image is stunning. There are tones in the whites under the head
and the blues and ripples are breath-taking clear. A truly magnificent image.
hal

Terry Olmsted
02-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks very much for your very kind comment, Hal. The whites actually look OK on my monitor too.
Terry

Jim Poor
02-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Very nice! The change in color tones gives it an almost artsy look. I wish the beak hadn't crossed into the gray, and I'd really love to see this with the whole frame the same color as the water on the right side.

Still, with the reflection and the patterns in the water it looks wonderful.

As for the whites, I measured and the G&B channels are down in the high 230's low 240's so nowhere near blown. In some places the R channel does hit 255 so there is a little detail lost in the reds.

Terry Olmsted
02-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks very much for the input and analysis, Jim. I appreciate it. By the way, I love blue too.
Terry

Travis Novitsky
03-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Love this one, Terry. The white along the side of the head/neck does look a bit bright, but not blown. The overall image does appear to be a bit over-sharpened, but boy do I love the ripples in the water and the reflections! Fantastic!