PDA

View Full Version : hawk photos

mariakruse
03-01-2010, 05:12 PM
We have a couple of hawks that visit our yard every once in a while probably because of the bird feeders I have up for the finches and sparrows but they always seem to perch on the ugly chain link fence that surrounds the yard. I was wondering how to lure them to the tree or the fallen branch in the front yard for a better photo. I don't know what to use to attract them. I sometimes toss out small meat balls for the roadrunners but the hawks don't seem to notice. Is there anything I could do to tempt the hawks short of tying up a rabbit in the front yard?
thank you for any suggestions.
mariak

Alan Melle
03-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Attach the fallen branch from the front yard, or other attractive perches, to the chain link fence with wire so they are strong enough for the hawks to perch on. If they perch on the fence they will eventually use the new perches. Good luck!

mariakruse
03-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Thank you Alan I will get some branches to try that. The large one in my front yard is the size of a small tree and I have it laying on the ground under the jujuba tree. The branch is much too large. We will be starting to do yard work soon so I should be able to get some suitable branches then. He's a lovely fellow and I would like to keep him around. Actually saw him hiding under the oleander bush the other day which surprised me. I didn't know they would hunt on the ground. Probably wanted one of the many white winged doves we have hanging around.
Thank you again for the advice.
maria