PDA

View Full Version : Costa Rica Hummer

Katie Rupp
03-01-2010, 11:32 AM
Not sure which species; the closest match in my Costa Rica bird guide might be a juvenile Green-crowned Brilliant...so thanks in advance for an identification. I removed one branch that jutted out behind the beak. C&C encouraged and greatly appreciated.

Canon 40D; f7.1, 1/500; Manual exposure; ISO 800; E-TTL -1; 500f4 +1.4x

Kaustubh Deshpande
03-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Katie, I really like composition and colors. A really nice bird. Eye would have looked better without the minor steel eye effect. It looks a tad oversharpened to me.

Keith Bauer
03-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Hi Katie: I agree with your ID that this is a jevenile Green-crowned Brilliant. Was this at Naturalista? The bird does look a bit oversharpened to me. Looking forward to capturing some more of these little beauties:)

Katie Rupp
03-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Thank you, Kaustubh and Keith; I had backed off some on the sharpening but guess it needed even less. Thanks for the id, Keith and it was at Naturalista, up the trail. Soon....

Deborah Hanson
03-01-2010, 12:10 PM
I really like this (I love hummingbirds). The perch is offset just enough. The detail in the face is wonderful - the eye is great. The other thing I notice about hummingbirds are the feet - nice.
I don't think I mind the sharpness - one of the things most noticeable about the hummers are the colors and the sharpening makes the color/feathers in this hummer stand out. Maybe a little less brightness?
Good detail for ISO 800 (I once had a 40D) but would have been nice to get a little smaller aperture to catch the tail?
Background color complements the bird.
Would love to go to Costa Rica.
Deb

Stu Bowie
03-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Super comp Katie, and I like the pose and HA. When sharpening, use the preview button to see before and after, thus you can judge and adjust to suit. I find the eye slightly distracting, and Im sure some eye doctoring could easily fix it.

Callie de Wet
03-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Super comp Katie, and I like the pose and HA. When sharpening, use the preview button to see before and after, thus you can judge and adjust to suit. I find the eye slightly distracting, and Im sure some eye doctoring could easily fix it.
Lovely little jewel, Katie. I concur with Stu on the eye!

thijs broekkamp
03-01-2010, 03:43 PM
It's really sharp! Wich lens did you used? I like the compo and the nice background

Katie Rupp
03-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Thank you, Thijs: the lens was Canon's 500 f4IS with the 1.4x teleconverter.

Greg Basco
03-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Katie, good advice so far from everyone on the steel eye and maybe backing off on the sharpening a bit but it's nice composition and good handling on a tricky exposure with low light to boot. Keith's ID sounds right; this looks like a female to me. I will be at Naturalista in a few days; it will be good to get back!

All the best,
Greg