PDA

View Full Version : Snail Kite- High key

Bob Miller
02-28-2010, 08:55 PM
1/1250 sec at f4.5
200-400 mm at 400 HH
Nikon D-300
ISO 1000
I like this shot but was wondering if I should add a blue background? If so what is the best way?
Is the bird sharp enough? Any suggestions for sharpening? I know i need to continue practicing my HH technique
All comments welcome!

Alfred Forns
02-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi Bob Fine looking male snail kite !!! These birds have peculiar feathers and are hard to reproduce as sharp as we would like to. I think you need perfect light and light angle .... for the conditions this look fine.

As far as the high key look I happen to like it a lot. For adding color the easiest way is to use Viveza form Nik Software ... real easy and would look great !!!

Lance Peters
03-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi Bob - agree with AL - seems to look a tad soft on screen - but could just be the reason AL mentioned.
Like the high key and composition looks good :)

Harold Davis
03-01-2010, 05:14 PM
awesome pose and i like this bird in high key, too! looks like you got heavy handed on the noise reduction? you have to really bang the exposure perfectly on these birds. and if you happen to underexpose and try to bring out some detail, you will definitely induce noise especially at ISO 1000 on the D300. you are already pushing the limits there and with a dark bird, even properly exposed, you are going to have a little noise. trying to open shadows only multiplies the noise.

i hope i am right. i sure typed a lot to be wrong!!!:)