PDA

View Full Version : Northern Flicker

Bill Dix
02-28-2010, 10:54 AM
D90; 80-400 VR @ 400mm. ISO 400. f/7.1 @ 1/1000s. -0.3 EV.

Another in my backyard bird series, posted mostly on ETL. A pair of flickers started frequenting my suet feeder a week or so ago, vying for position with the Red-bellies and Downies. This one was captured out of my back door during a light snow storm two days ago. C&C welcomed and appreciated.

David Gancarz
02-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Excellent exposure, feather detail, and overall tone with the exception of the red shaft, which looks a tad hot. I'd wish for his head to be turned slightly toward the camera.

2nd attempt to post reply. Server having troubles this morning?

Stu Bowie
02-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Hey Bill, what a great subject to have as a visitor to your feeder. Comp works well, and I like the colours on the bird.

Bill Dix
02-28-2010, 12:48 PM
[quote=David Gancarz;455403]Excellent exposure, feather detail, and overall tone with the exception of the red shaft, which looks a tad hot. I'd wish for his head to be turned slightly toward the camera.

Thanks David. Agree about the red; I often have to desaturate reds as they come out of the camera, and should have done so here, especially since I slightly boosted the saturation of the whole bird; thanks for pointing that out. As for the head turn I would normally agree in principle, but in my opinion here this is about optimum; any more head turn would have lost the signature red field mark altogether.

Rich Steel
02-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi Bill

I like the soft lighting and combination of complimentary colours in the bird and background. The head angle works fine for me as does the overall composition. A good overall result. I wish I had a bird this interesting visitng my back garden rather than the usual flocks of feral pigeons!

Cheers

Rich

David Gancarz
02-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Bill: Good point about the red shaft being hidden with a head turn. I hadn't thought of that.