PDA

View Full Version : Saying Goodbye

Julie Kenward
02-27-2010, 09:27 PM
The last time I was outside for any length of time with my camera was over a month ago - that was the last time the ground wasn't covered in ice or slush or the weather wasn't so overcast that it seemed ridiculous to even try. Today we hit 41 degrees and you'd think it was spring or something! Still, winter is in the air no matter how much I wish it would leave and it's evident by simply looking around.

I took this image this evening as the sun was just starting to go down and caught a nice side light between these bush branches along the edge of one of my favorite lakes. There's very little pp to it - just a crop off the right to put the main branch in the ROT's position and I cloned out 2 very small branches along the bottom edge that didn't flow with the rest of the image.

Canon 40D, EF 400mm f/5.6L
f6.3 @ 1/1250th, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering, AWB
Processed in ACR & CS4

Julie Brown
02-27-2010, 10:07 PM
Nice light and composition here Jules. I'm assuming the BG is water?

Julie Kenward
02-27-2010, 10:24 PM
You would be right, Julie! That's the east end of the lake in the BG.

Allen Sparks
02-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Nice composition and use of light. I'm ready for Spring too!

Mike Fuhr
02-28-2010, 12:11 PM
What's this 'spring' you speak of??!?:)

Ken Childs
02-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I really like the light in this Jules. Overall it's a nice comp but I keep wondering what it would look like without those 2 verticals on the left. Maybe next time you should take the branch cutters with you. ;)

There are signs of spring all over now. Whenever the sun shines and it gets near 40, the turtles show up in my ponds. All of the flowering trees have buds that are ready to pop when it stays warm enough and my first Daffodil will open in the next day or 2. WooHoo! A real flower!

Markus Jais
02-28-2010, 03:38 PM
I like this a lot. Very abstract image. Great composition. I would not have seen this.

Markus

Jackie Schuknecht
02-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Nice eye for composition Jules. Do I get the feeling you are ready for Spring???

Vida van der Walt
03-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Jules, this is beautiful!. A great reflective mood to this image and I love how the V shape is repeated. I agree that you have a great eye for composition and the fall of light in this is beautiful.:)

Julie Kenward
03-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks, everyone. Ken I think it's interesting that you don't like those 2 verticals on the left; I intentionally let those in because I think they add "static" to the image and give it a bit more depth. I am, however, still toying with reducing the ones on the far RIGHT side where the one in the BG is all blurred.

It's so interesting to me how we all like/dislike different things in our images. Thank you all for your insightful comments. It always makes me go back and take another look with a fresh set of eyes.

Mike Moats
03-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Nice comp Jules, like the choice of DOF and the the color of the BG.:)