PDA

View Full Version : Support being droped for raw files

Roger Clark
02-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Canon apparently announced today updates to software like digital photo professional (DPP) to add new cameras, but also drops support for MANY cameras:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1267213625.html

"Digital Photo Professional v3.8.1 for Mac and EOS Utility 2.8.1 on both Mac and PC platforms add support for the EOS Rebel T2i body, but also simultaneously ceases support for all digital SLRs prior to the EOS 30D. Newly unsupported cameras include the EOS D30, EOS D60, EOS 10D, EOS 20D, EOS 20Da, EOS 5D, EOS DIGITAL REBEL, EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT, EOS-1D, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1Ds, and EOS-1Ds Mark II."

Can anyone confirm this on a canon web site? Personally, I find this astounding and disturbing. This means if you have an older camera and you want canon software to be able to decode raw files, you need to keep older software. The problem with this is you then must keep an old computer to run it as it may not work on newer operating systems. If adobe does this, and other raw converter manufacturers do this in the future, we could find old cameras with no support for decoding raw files.

This is an argument for standardized raw files, like dng, or converting them to dng before it is no longer possible to convert them.

One alternative is to use open source software to decode old files, like dcraw. I also archive copies of dcraw source code so I know I can decode any camera file in the future.

Roger

Alfred Forns
02-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Hope is not the case Roger, makes no sense? Looked around the Canon website but there was no reference to the change.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-27-2010, 02:02 AM
Though I don't use DPP, I think if everyone drops support for older cameras then it would be a tragedy. I always used to think that Raw files act as digital negatives and with improved software algorithms, you can get better quality output a couple of years down the line. If that is the case, the after a point in time, it would make no sense to keep raw files as you wont be able to decode those.

Sabyasachi

Pete Woods
02-27-2010, 02:47 AM
I can not see that being the case as peoples stock library (RAW files) would be of no use if the images were from those camera's, it would make no sense as would drive users away to other RAW editors...

Dave Hassell
02-27-2010, 04:29 AM
I downloaded DPP 3.8.0 last night from Canon.com and I found the same warning but don't panic.

This morning at http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=325&modelid=19943 (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=325&modelid=19943)

it shows the supported camera models and they are: - 5. Supported Models
EOS Kiss X4 / EOS REBEL T2i / EOS 550D, EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS 7D, EOS Kiss X3/EOS REBEL T1i/EOS 500D, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 50D, EOS Kiss F/EOS REBEL XS/EOS 1000D, EOS Kiss X2/EOS REBEL XSi/EOS 450D, EOS-1Ds Mark III, EOS 40D, EOS-1D Mark III, EOS-1Ds, EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1D, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS 5D, EOS 10D, EOS 20D, EOS 20Da, EOS 30D, EOS Kiss Digital/EOS DIGITAL REBEL/EOS DIGITAL 300D, EOS Kiss Digital N/EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT/EOS DIGITAL 350D, EOS Kiss Digital X/EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi/EOS DIGITAL 400D, EOS D2000*, EOS D6000*, EOS D60, EOS D30,
PowerShot G11, PowerShot S90, PowerShot G10, PowerShot SX1 IS
*:Can now handle CR2 files converted with the CR2 Converter.

Dave Hassell.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-27-2010, 08:07 AM
From what I have read the dropped support only applies to the EOS utility tool, not DPP.