PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Hot Springs

D. Robert Franz
02-26-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm thinking this might make a nice big print for my gallery. What do you think? A little to abstract perhaps?

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
Shutter speed: 1/100 sec
Aperture: 11
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +1/3
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 200
Focal length: 75mm

Deborah Hanson
02-26-2010, 12:20 PM
I love the terraces at Mammoth.
The tree in the upper corner helps to convey the dead zone created by the area. Also, I like the flow from the top to the terraces below created by the runoff and crop. Also, the detail in the foreground (the rimming of the terrace) is really nice touch.
Since I do not know the ins and outs of landscape photography at all - a question -
How did you decide on the placement of the 2 large pools? I wouldn't want to crop the top or the bottom for the reasons above but I would have put them closer to the left hand side of the image (cropping escapes me).

Thanks
Deb

D. Robert Franz
02-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I love the terraces at Mammoth.
Since I do not know the ins and outs of landscape photography at all - a question -
How did you decide on the placement of the 2 large pools? I wouldn't want to crop the top or the bottom for the reasons above but I would have put them closer to the left hand side of the image (cropping escapes me).

Thanks
Deb

In my case probably by accident :o. Coming from 20+ years of film shooting I usally do all my cropping in camera. I think I was looking at balance in the image?

Roman Kurywczak
02-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Hey Dale,
Probably not an accident....just taking it for granted! The image appears a bit bright on my monitor. I think a bit of added selective color to the neutrals and black channel....not much....don't want to lose the feel of the URC.....but just to bring out some more depth in the terrace. Fine line there as you can easily go to far. I also am debating cropping off hte horizontal snow on the bottom with perhaps a proportional one off hte left...clener bottom edge just seems to work a bit better for me....but lets see what others chime in.

Dave Mills
02-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Hi Robert. The image is well handled and I agree with some of Roman's points. I took the image into PS and looked at the image with the bottom snow cropped. I felt it was better with the snow in but took out a tiny band on the rt bottom. I felt the image looked a bit flat and also felt the mood needed to be retained. I did a contr adj and added a bit more saturation(not much)