PDA

View Full Version : Converted jpeg old photo to b/w

Deborah Hanson
02-26-2010, 10:52 AM
First post in landscape. Landscapes, I think, are extremely hard.
This is an old photo (taken in jpeg) converted to black and white (Nik software). Not sure if artifacts, sharpening, etc. have helped or hurt.
I love Montana and I believe this was taken by Glacier.
It was taken with a point and shoot so long ago that I am not sure what I can post for specs.

Deb

Dave Mills
02-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi Deborah, Welcome to the forum and an excellent first post. Nice conversion and a very thought out composition. The image lends itself to a pano crop very nicely. The clouds have interest with effective dappled lighting. The light on the middle formation is very nice. The formation on the right side is very close to the edge but other than that ....nicely handled!

Roman Kurywczak
02-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi Deborah,
Welcome to the forum! Most people think landscapes are easy.....because they don't move.....Ha!!!
I really like your choice here of the pano crop. Accentuates the peaks nicely. I do think the lighting is well handled also. Perhaps just a few tweaks to even further bring up the tones and pehaps a pull back on the whites in the sky. You may want to try Robert's reverse s-curve trick (in the tutorial sticky top of forum) before the conversion. This may help tame some of the whites and allow for greater tonal flexibility in NIK. Very nice first post and big welcome again!

Dan Wolin
03-02-2010, 09:59 AM
I really like this - perfect lighting on the peaks with great storm clouds. I like everything about it.

Myer Bornstein
03-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Nice picture the whites in the clouds could be toned down slightly the seem to jump out at you

Deborah Hanson
03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.
As I mentioned before, landscapes are very challenging to me - one has to 'see' what they want before they take the photograph.
Deb

Connie Mier
03-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Very nice pano, the comp is well balanced and those clouds are killer.

Deborah Hanson
03-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Connie-
Thanks for the kind comment.

Deb