View Full Version : Red fox cross fox color

Gene Herzberg
02-23-2008, 05:17 PM
This cross fox color red fox was taken near Cape Spear Newfoundland

Gene

Robert O'Toole
02-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Hi Gene, so this is a crossed red fox?

Anyway i love the look, the great sharpness, and those eyes!!!

I really wish a cloud blocked the sun the moment you took the shot or if the sun was a few more degrees over your shoulder as opposed to off to the side. That deep shadow is somewhat distracting. Otherwise I love it.

Robert

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2008, 12:51 PM
A tough lighting situation that you did well with though I am not too fond of the shadow. I like the composition with the boby coming in diagonally from the corner.

Please post the techs next time like the lens, camera, exposure settings etc. I would liked to have known what f/stop this was taken at. I would open up the lens perhaps all the way to get the BG OOF. Knowing the f/stop helps us to evaluate the image as well as help others in the learning process.

Thanks for posting.

D. Robert Franz
02-26-2008, 10:12 AM
A cross fox is the name for this color phase of the red fox (Vulpes fulva). People mistakenly thought it was a cross between a red and gray fox. (I researched red fox in college) BG is a bit busy in this image and thats the major flaw for me...

Lisa Giroux
07-04-2009, 08:16 PM
The reason it is called a "cross fox" is because there is a blackish stripe down the back, and a blackish stripe that stretches from elbow to elbow, over the back (covering the shoulder-blaze area that you would see in Huskies, etc). These two stripes cross at the point of the shoulderblades on top of the back, creating a "cross" as you look down upon it from above. The stripes can range from quite narrow, to very wide.

Here in Newfoundland we have veeeerrrry interesting fox colors, due in part to the escapees from the many fur farms here on the island.

Lisa G
Western Newfoundland, Canada