PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird

JP Bruce
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM
This is a hummingbird from the Desert Museum in Tucson. Photograph taken with Canon 20D 200mm lens f5 at 1/80sec Used a monopod. The bright spot hides a band on the birds leg.

Lana Hays
01-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Welcome JP
This little hummer has a very colorful gorget that is shown off nicely and is certainly giving you a curious look. I don't know what ISO you were shooting but you had a very slow shutter speed. Bumping the ISO could have given you more Good idea using the monopod for support. It would have been nice if you could have moved to get more of the bird and less of the OOF leaf in front, although I know that's not always possible. I have never been to the Desert Museum but I have read wonderful things. If you're close, it would certainly give you more opportunities to shoot and try some different things.

D. Robert Franz
01-03-2008, 08:39 AM
I really like the head turn of the hummer and the gorget but the brightness of the OOF leaf competes with the hummer as your visual center of interest.. A slight reposition of the camera may have helped...

Alfred Forns
01-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Sweet look and beautiful bg Just the slight move !!! A very fine image !!!

Jim Neiger
01-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi JP,

I like the way you caught the bird's colorful gorget and the curious look. I also like the pinkish colored bg, but wish the brighter oof twigs could have been avoided. The oof fg elements do detract from the image. I agree with the advice the others have given.