PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon, Az

Rob Miner
02-23-2008, 02:35 PM
After birding in Rio Grande Valley, TX this spring, I stopped by the Grand Canyon, AZ. After shooting a couple of days, I realize just how difficult the canyon country to photograph. My reason for submitting this photo is to learn the possibilities from this membership. Please critique and offer ideas. I did not choose the time I went there or the weather, as I know this would help the possibilities.

Photoshop CS3 - saturation set high for printing.

File size: 10.2MB
Camera Model: NIKON D2Xs
Firmware: Version 2.10
Date/Time: 2007:05:26 13:51:49
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 100
Lens: 12-24mm f/4
Focal length: 24mm
Focal length: 36mm (in 35mm film)
AF mode: AF-S
Image size: 4320 x 2868

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. Rob..............

John Cooper
02-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi Rob, I won't attempt to critque your image as L'scapes are not my forte but I suspect its a case of being presented with a smorgasbord and not knowing where to start!! I find the center of interest is often lost when trying to include too much of a grand vista. Sometimes selecting a longer lens and extracting just part of the scene works best.
I will be interested to hear from the more experienced ;)

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Rob,

Overall, I think you did well with the composition. The image has a sort of Photomatix High Dynamic Range Image look to it though you do not mention using it or similar. The clouds are very 3-D looking. You did mention the saturation was set "high". What do you mean by that?

Perhaps that is the cause of the overall look which to me is very painterly. Which in this case I like.

On the left corner you have a ravine leading into the image to the BG almost at the center. On the right you have a butte pointing into the image. Both help to lead the viewer into it. I like the sky but might be tempted to crop some to get the horizon closer to a Rule of Thirds position.

The suggestion on going to details is a good one, the the grand vistas are always worth the effort.

Rob Miner
02-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Hi, I did not us HDR methods in processing this file. I did increase the strength of saturation, because the countryside looks drab and unappealing with less. After normal work flow in Photoshop CS3, saturation, and tonal properties were worked over in the luminosity channels. Failed to report that a Circular Polorizer + 81a was also used in the capture. This is also a picture of Bright Angels canyon, a tributary of the Grand Canyon. I tried a capture at this location and through out the Canyon with a 70-200mm F2.8. I found it didn't give the Grand Canyon the sense of grandure (personal opinion) I was trying to present.

Thanks to all that gave a critique. Rob..............

Bret Edge
02-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Compositionally I don't see anything I would do differently. The light is actually quite nice and allows the contours of the land to be nicely defined. My only critique is that the canyon walls are a little to high in contrast and saturation. Knock both of those down a touch and I think you'll have a really fantastic photo of the Canyon.