PDA

View Full Version : Last light - Snowy

Steve Maxson
02-24-2010, 06:28 PM
This Snowy Plover was photographed last year on Sanibel. The sun has started to touch the western horizon and the light has changed from golden to reddish. The light is so nearly horizontal that, while the bird is still illuminated, the sand it is standing on is in shadow. I selectively lightened the eye. I would wish that the feet were visible. I left the habitat as is - this is what you get on Sanibel and it is part of the charm of being there. :) The bird is standing on a beach that is sloping downward to our right - towards the water. 40D, 500 f/4, 1/160, f/8, ISO 400, full frame. Comments are welcome.

Don Thompson
02-24-2010, 06:47 PM
I like the light and the shells don't bother me either. I have been to Sanibel and it is what you get there. Good HA.

When I opened the image up in ACR, the highlights seem to be a bit overexposed.

John Chardine
02-24-2010, 06:47 PM
What a super bird Steve, with its almost ridiculously large head! The colour of the light is outstanding of course, as is the low angle. The slope is a little off-putting; it's just hard not to think that the image needs CCW rotation.

Tony Whitehead
02-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Sweet light and pose. Angle didn't bother me until John mentioned it! I think there are enough visual cues to see it as a slope in front of the bird with the BG fairly horizontal.

Steve Canuel
02-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Hi Steve,
I really like the reddish light on this and the puffed up bird. Sea shells add a lot to the image for me and though I understand other comments regarding leveling of the slope, the flat shells on the right side instantly make me see a natural rise.

Manjesh Lingamurthy
02-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Hi Steve

This is a gorgeous image. Only problem I notice is that the lighter tones(highlights) are overexposed. Dark tones look fine(Look at the dark bill).

Manjesh