PDA

View Full Version : Whimbrel

wendell westfall
02-24-2010, 03:48 PM
D70s 70-200VR+2X@400 1/1600 f/5.6 ISO400 0EV hand-held

This is the second of only three birds I saw two mornings ago at the beach. I got a better "look" at this one, but the rascal was also distant and skittish (as was the Tattler). However, I think I did better here, cropping less and not messing with the background (the sea spray did not produce water orbs) -- is it OK? I would like the rock formation under its tail not to have been there. The Whimbrel's neck and breast feathers were slightly hot, so I used just a bit of Recovery in LR2. Appreciate all C&C . . .

Wendell

Bill Dix
02-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Beautiful pose, and seems nice and sharp to me for the 2X. Looks a bit contrasty on my screen; maybe the result of the sideways light? BG seems overly blue, and perhaps a bit noisy. And you might want to remove the sharpening halo especially around the lovely bill. Agree with you about the rock and the tail; too bad you couldn't have gotten just a tiny bit lower and to the right. All of that being said, this is a lovely shot of a handsome bird.

Myer Bornstein
02-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Bill said it all

Lance Peters
02-24-2010, 07:35 PM
Hi Wendell - Bill pretty much nailed it - AS i have said before seeing a big improvement in your images.
Might back the contrast down just a tad
good Show :)

Alfred Forns
02-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi Wendell Do like better than previous Bill nailed the critique ... I think what would help the most is working yourself in sun angle and wait for the bird.

As presented you could lighten the back of the body and will look much better !! You did obtain a good pose and bg !!!