Canon EOS REBEL XT
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/1000"
F11
ISO: 200
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
CS3

As an example of just how little attention people pay to things like this, the moth pictured is the only one reported so far in North America to the Butterflies and Moths of North America project. It's considered a pest and is common but small brown bugs are easily ignored by most people.

As usual, I've just spotted something I should have taken care of. I should have cloned out the tip of the flower petal that's behind the proboscis.

Vida van der Walt
02-24-2010, 02:27 PM
What a lovely image and interesting moth Ken. The pinks in this is gorgeous and you captured great detail. Love the pose as well. I just wish the back end of the moth was in sharp focus as well.:)

Allen Sparks
02-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Wonderful contrast in colors, the brown of the bug and the purple flowers. Nice head detail. I also noticed the out of focus back of the bug when I first opened the image.

Ken Childs
02-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks, Vida and Allen. I don't think the back of the bug is as OOF as it appears to be. This bug is old and worn so many of the wing scales are missing from that area and I think that's what's making it look off. Either way, I probably should have tried some stronger selective sharpening on that area.

Julie Brown
02-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Ken, the bug is really sharp and I love the flower. You are right, we don't notice these guys, because we are too busy chasing the pretty ones!

Julie Kenward
02-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Amazing peek at this guy, Ken. I doubt I would have given him a second look but how interesting he is! I think you're right about his back - everything else within that focal plane seems to be in focus and yet the back isn't...I really think you nailed this one. Nice going!

Mike Moats
02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Hey Ken, congrats on the unusual subject captured. Good looking contrast and great details.