PDA

View Full Version : New Birder in Michigan - Locations needed

kevinpitzer
02-24-2010, 10:50 AM
I am new to birding and do not know quite where to go so I am looking for some help on where to find some good bird sites in Grand Rapids or around the area. I also would like some good spots for the spring and summer.

Thanks a bunch!

Richard Sleeman
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Kevin,welcome to the Michigan birding community. The first thing you should do is buy Alan Chartiers "Birds of Michigan"; it contains detailed maps and driving instructions for sites throughout the state. Its a must have.
Beyond that, we all have our favorite places, one not too far from you,is the Tawas Point State Park. Try to visit between mid April and end of May. Multiple times if you can.
As for the specific G. Rapids area, I'll have to defer to someone more local or Allans book.
Good Birding!
Richard

PS: Tawas is on the east side of the state, but I don't think its a especially long drive.

kevinpitzer
02-25-2010, 02:22 PM
I would like to thank you for this information!

Does anyone know of places closer to GR?

Kevin,welcome to the Michigan birding community. The first thing you should do is buy Alan Chartiers "Birds of Michigan"; it contains detailed maps and driving instructions for sites throughout the state. Its a must have.
Beyond that, we all have our favorite places, one not too far from you,is the Tawas Point State Park. Try to visit between mid April and end of May. Multiple times if you can.
As for the specific G. Rapids area, I'll have to defer to someone more local or Allans book.
Good Birding!
Richard

PS: Tawas is on the east side of the state, but I don't think its a especially long drive.

Richard Sleeman
02-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Kevin,again I will refer you to Allan's book. Grand Rapids and the entire area is covered--he even lists species that you can look for. I am looking at my Michigan Atlas, and places like Muskegon and Grand Haven jump out for waterfowl, especially this time of year. Check out 'Birds of Michigan' at a Borders or Barnes and Noble. You won't regret it.

Richard

kevinpitzer
02-25-2010, 03:29 PM
So I I were to buy one book first (of course the other later), should I get Allan's book or the Birds of Michigan from B&N? Also where can I purchase the book from Allan?

Again thanks for your kind help in helping a newbie get started, it is very appreciated!

Kevin,again I will refer you to Allan's book. Grand Rapids and the entire area is covered--he even lists species that you can look for. I am looking at my Michigan Atlas, and places like Muskegon and Grand Haven jump out for waterfowl, especially this time of year. Check out 'Birds of Michigan' at a Borders or Barnes and Noble. You won't regret it.

Richard

Stuart Frohm
02-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Perhaps there are two books by Chartier — or perhaps the same book has been published with two titles. The one I'm finding online is "A Birder's Guide to Michigan."
Perhaps the Blanford Nature Center would be a resource in the Grand Rapids area.
If you are considering traveling to Midland, I suggest consulting in advance with personnel at Chippewa Nature Center.

Stuart Frohm
03-03-2010, 06:23 AM
It appears that "A Birder's Guide to Michigan" is out of print and that a reprint might become available this year.
I found it at our local library, and an online linterlibrary loan service indicates dozens of libraries have copies.
Mr. Sleeman, thanks very much for recommending this superb book, which I hadn't seen.

Richard Sleeman
03-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Stuart, you're welcome. I didn't know it was out of print. Have you checked Borders or a local Nature center that sells books?

Richard