PDA

View Full Version : Forest Fires?

Ramesh Adkoli
02-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Not really a forest fire. I tried here to create an impression of that. Captured this image at Ramanagara, 40kms from Bangalore. This place is full of huge monolithic rocks. In this image, I used the warmth of the early morning sky and OOF tall grass in FG to give a feel of smoke due to forest fire (hillock in the BG). Let me know whether the image conveys that feel.

EXIF: D700, 70-200mm @200mm, 1/3200s, f/2.8, ISO 200, tripod mount, early morning
PP: CNX2, levels, added Gaussian blur to silhouette of the hills and grains to the sky, cropped a bit from RHS

regards,
ramesh

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Ramesh,

If you had not explained this, I would agree it looks like a fire. A very interesting interpretation. The diagonal of the slope is strong and the waves of what looks like smoke in the sky are strong.

Would be interesting to see this with a sharp silhouette.

Dave Mills
02-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Hi Ramesh, I agree that it also gives the appearance of a fire. The diagonal line is also a benefit and I also wonder about the lines being sharper. For my taste what is lacking is a stronger silouette which has more dominance...

Ramesh Adkoli
02-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks, Robert and Dave for your views. Here is the image with the sharp silhouette. I had added blur to this part in OP to enhance the effect of fire & smoke. Did that work?

regards,
ramesh

Roman Kurywczak
02-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi Ramesh,
I find the sky is very effective with the blur. I do feel the silhoette would be a bit stronger sharper.....but it does convey a sense of motion......so I think you captured what you were looking for! Perhaps a hair of selective color...adding blacks!