PDA

View Full Version : Capture NX/CS3

Rene de Heer
02-23-2008, 12:18 PM
I have just taken delivery of a Nikon outfit which comes with Nikon Capture NX.
Am i right in assuming that there is no plug-in in NX for opening converted images in Photo shop CS3???

As far as i can see you need to convert the RAW file, save it in whatever folder, open up CS3 and then open the image........a bit of a pain

Thank you
Rene de Heer

Gayle Clement
02-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Hi Rene,
First, go to Edit, Preferences in Capture NX and browse to CS3 in the General tab to set it as a preference. Once that's set you can process and convert in Capture NX, choose Open With and your photo will automatically open in Photoshop for final processing.

Alfred Forns
02-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi Gail !!! I have been hitting NX very hard lately and liking it even more !!!!! Thanks for getting me started Was more helpful that you could ever imagine !!!

George DeCamp
02-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi Rene,
First, go to Edit, Preferences in Capture NX and browse to CS3 in the General tab to set it as a preference. Once that's set you can process and convert in Capture NX, choose Open With and your photo will automatically open in Photoshop for final processing.

Doh, never knew that...great tip!!

Jason Vaclavek
02-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I am very surprised by how much I am doing with NX and how little with CS2 now. NX is proving to be a more valuable tool than I thought it would be.

Michael P. Centanni
03-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Just going through Capture, are there any settings that need to be done in preferences?

Thanks for any info!:)

Robert Amoruso
03-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks Gayle, very helpful.

Jared Lloyd
03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I didnt really like NX that much when I first installed it. I guess I'm just so used to the layout and control pannels of CS3. But I read mention about NX's superior noise reduction and figured I would start playing with it. WOW, im pretty impressed. One question though, can noise reduction be painted on as a mask in NX?

Gayle Clement
03-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Jared, sharpening, lightening, noise reduction, any of these can be painted on. 1) Choose the paint brush 2) paint the area you'd like to apply an effect to (the painted area turns orange) 3) on the step menu you will now have an effect that says colorize. Choose the new effect from the drop down menu. The orange disappears and the new effect is applied.

Now, if your area you would like to apply noise reduction or any other effect to is large, for instance a wide blue sky, instead 1) Choose New Step on the edit list bar 2) toggle to the new adjustment, in this case Noise Reduction. This applies it to the entire image. 3) Now choose the minus sign on the paint brush 4) paint over any area you don't want noise reduction applied to to erase the effect. It's fast and really easy!

Gayle Clement
03-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Michael, the only thing that I've changed so far is under General. On Open With I've selected CS3 so that the photo opens in Photoshop for final editing.