PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Act : Subject vs. background

Randy Stout
02-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Good evening all:

Inspired by Fabs RB gull, I went through mine from that same afternoon. Although it lacks the lovely shell, I thought it captures this birds environment well. I tinkered with several versions of this image, with more or less dramatic background. For me, the turbulent water is a very important part of the story, so don't mind it being a bit more prominent.

Let me know what you think of the balance of subject vs. background.

Cheers

Randy

Nikon D300 500mm f/4 @f/8 1/800s ISO 250
Post : CS4 PS, curves, selective sharpening, crop for composition (25%)

John Chardine
02-23-2010, 09:10 PM
Nice Randy. I wouldn't necessarily have noticed the water BG but then I'm fixated on Ring-bills!!!

This is a lovely image and I like the unique crop and I don't mind it being tight as the idea is some intimacy here. I don't know why but I keep going back to the little bit of the legs that are showing- maybe colour, which is great all over, but that golden yellow is something else. I am also really enjoying the the wisp of feather being blown in the wind.

Harshad Barve
02-23-2010, 09:51 PM
My eyes are fixed on Gull , terrifc details and amazing control on whites
TFS

Marina Scarr
02-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Hi Randy: Lovely specimen you have here and I find the BG complimentary. However, the crop doesn't work for me. One reason is b/c it's cropped at the joint. It's difficult for me to suggest a different crop not seeing the original capture. I think you have great exposure here, lovely details and I like the raised feathers.

John Haig
02-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Agree with Marina re: crop...perhaps exclude the legs entirely?
Would like a bit more tonal separation between the breast of the gull and the white surf...I find the section below the throat gets a little lost.
Love the windblown feathers on the crown.

Bob Pelkey
02-24-2010, 12:56 AM
The RBG fills the frame sufficiently to keep my attention on the feather detail and that in the pupil as well. The BG is extremely complimentary in the image to my taste.

Grace Scalzo
02-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Randy, I really like the background and the gull looks fine as well. I've looked at this a few times trying to keep an open mind about the crop, and I've come to the conclusion that it just doesn't work for me. I'd come up from the bottom and off the left (as viewed) which would still leave most of your background. Just my 2 cents.

Randy Stout
02-24-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. Interesting the comments generated on the crop. I have looked at the suggestions, and keep coming back to the original, just seems to balance better for me:)

Thats the joy of photography, lots of ways to see.

I do appreciate all your input.

Cheers

Randy

denise ippolito
02-24-2010, 12:05 PM
Randy. I love the image and the BG is very pleasing. I think the curled up feather adds a nice touch.

Peregrine Craig Nash
02-24-2010, 02:44 PM
I agree with cropping the bottom of the picture. Definately remove the legs. Your eyes are being drawn to both it's eye and the legs. Whereas if you removed the legs your eyes would then focus on its head and be a more pleasing image. Background is fine.

Steve Canuel
02-24-2010, 08:54 PM
The detail in the eye and beak keeps my focus but I do like being able to discern the blue water, the breaking waves, and the sandy beach.