PDA

View Full Version : Selective noise removal ?

Mike Tracy
02-23-2008, 11:40 AM
I see folks remarking that they run a noise reduction program on their back grounds. Would someone explain the process. I have Neat Image.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-23-2008, 12:00 PM
I use the 'reduce noise' tool in CS3. Only select the BG and apply 5-10; 45; 45; 0 and remove artifacts checked.

Dave Phillips
02-27-2008, 07:59 PM
I see folks remarking that they run a noise reduction program on their back grounds. Would someone explain the process. I have Neat Image.
Mike one way(using Neat Image as PS plugin) is to use a layer mask as follows.
duplicate layer
run neat image for desired effect
Goto top toolbar/layer/layer mask/hide all(all noise reduction will no longer show)
set foreground color to white, use white brush to mask or paint in where you desire the nr effect to show..........flatten layer

you can also do this layer mask effect for selective sharpening.....or any selective effect

hth

Alfred Forns
02-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Mike when you reduce noise sharpness is affected to some degree The best solution is masking as Dave just explained !!!

David Fletcher
03-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Not saying this is better, but may be easier for some subjects: (won't work if contrast / colors similar, so use Dave's method), but if sufficient contrast diff, in subject/ Bg ratio, I'll just use the magic wand on the bg, smooth, feather, contract or expand as whatever is appropriate, and then apply NR, just as I might inverse and then sharpen a subject. (really depends on the detail/ subject / bg contrast ratios, naturally using layers and possibly opacity). Dave

David Bostedo
03-02-2008, 05:46 PM
...I'll just use the magic wand on the bg, smooth, feather, contract or expand as whatever is appropriate, and then apply NR

Note that in Neat Image, this will still appear to do noise reduction on the whole image in the Neat Image GUI. After okaying the NR and returning to PS, it will only be applied to the selection area.

Mike Tracy
03-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the info and instruction.