PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cave

Nick Palmieri
02-23-2010, 05:55 PM
This was taken on the Ausable River in the Adirondacks in Upstate NY just above an area called the Flume. The river moves pretty fast and these large chunks of ice break loose then float down the river and jam up. Here there is melting and re-freezing to form these cool ice structures and caves. Taken with an EOS 40D and a 70-200mm lens at 70mm, IS0 100, f/22, 5s with a Vari-ND filter. This was done at about 11:00AM. Got this cool filter after Roman let me use his for a few shots. Very cool effects!

Lance Warley
02-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Terrific job on the water, Nick. Water and ice seem like the perfect situation for the Vari-ND.

Beautiful shot.

Dave Mills
02-23-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi Nick, Nice even lighting,good snow detail with a pleasing water flow. If this were mine I would do 2 things. Add a bit more(not alot) room to the foreground and I would clone out the dark area on the upper left. The dark area is bringing my eye to that location. Nicely seen!

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Nick,

I can see what attracted you here but the mish-mash of patterns makes the composition confusing. I feel a better approach would have been going tighter and simplifying.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
02-24-2010, 08:15 PM
very nice

Roman Kurywczak
02-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Hey Nick,
I might try bringing up some of the upper whites.....just a touch. I'm OK with the comp...but the URC is a bit distracting....maybe pathcing/cloning it in so it doesn't draw the eye....if you are OK with such things. Fun filter isn't it?!!!