PDA

View Full Version : Anhinga Trail update - February 2010

Judd Patterson
02-23-2010, 12:25 AM
I spent most of the weekend in Everglades National Park. For me, at least, I felt the trail had improved since my visits in January. The Black Vultures numbers are back down to normal, and Purple Gallinules were out in force (5-6 both days - more than I've ever seen there). Wood Storks stood as sentinels all along the edge, an American Bittern came out to play, and the standard heron mix was present. The Double-crested Cormorants obliged as they normally do, and there is improving warbler activity in Gumbo Limbo hammock (still, you gotta be lucky!) Swallow-tailed Kite reports are trickling in from Flamingo, and it's only a matter of a few weeks before they are all over the park. Snail Kites are also coming in to roost to the south of the gator overlook at the end of the paved trail. They arrive when it's pretty dark, but there were 5 in the area on Sunday!

I'm also excited to report that a Smooth-billed Ani is currently calling Anhinga Trail home. It seems to wake up pretty late, so the best strategy seems to be cloudy afternoons or late evening when the bird is often spotted anywhere along the straight, paved portion of the trail. This member of the Cuckoo family is a bird common in the Caribbean, but quite rare in South Florida right now. It's fun to see it skulk around in the vegetation as it chases insects and lizards. It's really not afraid of people (it might be an immature bird).

That's all for now. See you around!

Grady Weed
02-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the update. I hope to be there around the second week of March.

James Shadle
02-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Great report Judd!
Thanks.

Harold Davis
02-23-2010, 06:28 PM
nice report, judd!! good to see you at the trail sunday afternoon!

Alfred Forns
02-24-2010, 04:29 PM
... same day Judd was there spotted five snail kites by the end of the boardwalk They come in late and roost nearby. This time there was one male in the group. btw the most I've seen, usually there are only two !!!

Myer Bornstein
02-24-2010, 04:43 PM
when I was at the Ahinga Trail last week, late in the afternoon, the smoothbilled ani flew right by me and landed in the bush not 10 feet away and allowed some nice pictures. location was the very end of the boardwalk

Alfred Forns
02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Hi Myer Sweet capture of the Ani !!! What a great bird !! Congrats !!!

Judd Patterson
02-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Hey Myer, nice image of the Ani. Just beware the tree where it is perched. That is poisonwood! Very itchy stuff a few days after you touch it. :)

Myer Bornstein
02-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Judd
I know and did get some on me doing my Florida Travels. Thank God for Hydrocortisone cream :o