PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Billed Ani

Oscar Zangroniz
02-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Some say they were very common in South Florida years ago and now they have moved to the islands. This particular guy was the only one spotted this year and when he made his appearance yesterday at Anhinga trail everyone who had a camera had to stop and shoot. Thanks to Judd Paterson for pointing him out. :)

Nikon D3
Nikon 70-200vr w/ 2x III TC @ 400mm
F5.6
1/500
ISO 1250
Hand Held

Desmond Chan
02-23-2010, 01:53 AM
Hmmm...I'd sharpen the eye a bit because it looks like to me the leaves in the foreground look sharper.

How do you find the new TC 2, Oscar ??

BillTyler
02-23-2010, 01:58 AM
I like the pose and the surroundings very much. I wish you had been able to use a smaller aperture to get just a little more depth of field and more sharpness in the beak.

Bill

Lance Peters
02-23-2010, 05:10 AM
Hi Oz - head /eye does look a tad soft, as Desmond mentioned leafs at front do appear to be sharper.
Exposure looks good - nice detail in those blacks.
Good show:)

Richard Waas
02-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Nice looking bird. It was great shooting with you on Sunday. It was so funny when this bird showed up. First someone said it was a Smooth Billed Ani, then Smooth Billed Annie, then Smooth Beaked Annie, then Smoot Billed Frannie.... Don't you love telephone talk..

BTW, it does look a tad soft. Got any more?

Alfred Forns
02-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi Oscar Fun it was Love that bird and did now seem to be shy, just having an issue with the local black vultures and crows !!!

Agree on the point of focus but it was hard with that bird moving around !!! Sure hope it sticks around for a few days !!!

... Richard ... do you think we have the name covered :D

Harold Davis
02-23-2010, 05:19 PM
the bg colors are pretty cool and compliment the bird. had no clue the dof would be so shallow at 5.6 at that length. the legs are completely out of focus!!

that bird was fun and absolutely oblivious to everyone photographing it. it was a smooth-billed ani named frannie!!!:D