PDA

View Full Version : sterile morning

daniel valovich
02-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Hello to all,
The morning was cold but everything after a dusting of snow looked undisturbed.
nikon d-300
tokina 11-16 mm lense @ 11
1/320s
iso 200
matrix metering

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_0lSa66pPKio/S4MJ4bCPxZI/AAAAAAAABSI/t0w5Q2PAdUA/s800/DSC_9250.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
02-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Hey Daniel,
Pretty interesting here with nice clouds. I like the dark moody feel and in the repost I tried to keep it. Ideally i would have preferred this w/o the branches on the URC and ULC. I did do a slight crop to minimize it as there also appeared to be a brighter area around it. First thing after that....I opened up some of the shadow and tamed some of the highlights using Shadow/highlights. Then I went mostly old school.....just using the dodge and burn tool. I did not convert it to B&W.....but since it's mostly there anyway....might not be a bad idea. I tried to show you a few possibilities....may not be to everyones tastes but just to give you some additional ideas. Let me know your thoughts.

Dave Mills
02-23-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi Daniel, Agree with Roman but I made a more radical crop where I wanted to focus more on the RR tracks than the sky. Image has a nice mood to it with the snow also creating interest...

daniel valovich
02-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Thanks Dave and Roman
That is why I like this forum and I appreciate your time spent on the photo.
It is not the best photo But I also like the mood. Should have spent more time there but I took the photo through the passenger side open window as I was in traffic.

Robert Amoruso
02-23-2010, 08:29 PM
You captured the clouds well Daniel and the tracks are a good leading line. The reposts really help it reach its potential tonality-wise.