PDA

View Full Version : A sardonic smile

Callie de Wet
02-22-2010, 01:00 PM
One of two brothers from the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park at Marie se Gat.
Cropped off a little bit on his left. FF balance, no canvas added. It is the car tracks on the sand in the last afternoon shade that creates the whorls in the BG. NR on BG, sharpened body and them eyes, mouth area
D300; 200-400 f/4; F/8; 1/640; -0,3 EV; 18h11 PM

Stu Bowie
02-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Lovely regal pose Callie, and I like the raised piece of mane between his ears. I would have moved him to the left a bit more.

Callie de Wet
02-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Lovely regal pose Callie, and I like the raised piece of mane between his ears. I would have moved him to the left a bit more.
Thanks Stu. I actually considered the cropping as you suggested, but then it would be a nearly square crop which somehow did not feel right. He was walking towards us, then flopped down and then went flat cat, all in less than a minute. I could not get the focus icon moved fast enough to the left to get more space on the right. Guess one can add some canvas to the right of his back foot?

Alfred Forns
02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi Callie Love that top hair sticking up, what a character !!! Agree with the placement and would brighten the image overall !! ... just a touch of curves will do it !!!

Callie de Wet
02-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi Callie Love that top hair sticking up, what a character !!! Agree with the placement and would brighten the image overall !! ... just a touch of curves will do it !!!
Here is a re-post, thanks, Alfred.

Austin Thomas
02-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi Callie,

The raised hair looks great on this one. Agree that it needs lightening a little and ideally he needs moving to the left a bit.

Great pose.

tfs

Austin

Roman Kurywczak
02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Callie,
Raised hair is great and the re-post looks better on the colors too. If you are OK with such things blurring/softening some of the tire tracks will help strengthen this even further.

Morkel Erasmus
02-22-2010, 05:47 PM
hi Callie!

stunning specimen. the repost works better but I still feel the lion is too smooth? I'd like to see some sharper finite detail. agree with Roman on the tyre tread...

:)

Harshad Barve
02-22-2010, 09:13 PM
talk about the Hair-do :D
Repost looks better to me and Lion can take slightly more sharpening
TFS

Steve Canuel
02-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Love the hairdo and the look on his face. All good suggestions given above. I'd remove the grass on his forehead but only because I can't stop staring at it!

Todd Frost
02-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Good looking lion with quite the "doo". Agree with Morkel about the lack of fine detail. Did you run nr on the lion also? Repost does look better. TFS
Todd

subramanya_ck
02-24-2010, 04:09 AM
Terrific stuff. Repost is mindblowing

Ken Watkins
02-24-2010, 04:20 AM
I thought that "Mohican" Lions were generally only seen in Botswana, but at least this one has a full black mane. I think as little sharpening would help a lot.