PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Arch HDR

D. Robert Franz
02-22-2010, 12:08 PM
This is a 3 shot HDR image of Landscape Arch in Arches.. Never really gets great light in Jan so I used HDR to improve the dynamic range. Fences limit your compositional choices

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Firmware: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Windows
Date/Time: 2010:01:16 09:40:57
Copyright: © D. Robert & Lorri Franz
Shutter speed: 1/21 sec
Aperture: 16
ISO: 100

Roman Kurywczak
02-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Hey Dale,
Nice job on the HDR......looks very natural. I think you chose nice areas to include as the bushes anchor the R FG nicely as does the rock on the LH frame edge. I also like where you positioned landscape arch higher in the frame. I think the snow has helped a bit to provide more depth in the FG as the rocks/bare ground are so similar in color.....that it has a tendency to blend in.....snow and great light helped solve that for you in this case. Very nicely done!
PS Mark lll worked great for me in Tanzania! Thanks.

Dave Mills
02-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Hi Dale, Agree with good job on the hdr without it looking filtered. The light, which is a key element of any image, is beautiful. Even though the foreground is busy it has a tendancy of framing the lower part of the arch. The foreground snow is well exposed adding interest to the scene. The sky is minimalised with some cloud interest. The fence does limit you but you chose your comp very well....

Nick Palmieri
02-22-2010, 04:38 PM
Sorry to go against Dave and Roman two of my photography mentors...butttt....I am thinking there is a problem in the HDR conversion... look at the rock in the upper LH corner and the trees up there, you can see a red glow around them...you can also see some "noise" around the rock formation...maybe that was due to your jpeg conversion but i think it may have been done during the HDR conversion. I like the detail maintained in the snow and i think the composition is different but pretty cool.

Robert Amoruso
02-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Nick pointed out a typical problem with HDR's and that is the lack of contrast in the shadows and noise. Perhaps blending the image with good detail and no noise into the area and then matching tonality will help this.

I like the composition as the elements in the FG work to guide the eye up the slope to the arch.

D. Robert Franz
02-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Just getting used to HDR conversions with PM so there may be issues with it but I really don't see a red glow? I've never been a huge fan a HDR. They are hard to get right but a GND would have introduced it's own problems with this image and others as well so I'll keep trying to improve my processing with PM.

Morkel Erasmus
03-02-2010, 12:08 AM
great effort here Dale. agree on punching some detail back from one of the original exposures into the shadows etc
love the scene and colour. PM is tough to get right since the settings for every shot have to be tweaked quite a lot - there's no preset really.