Canon EOS REBEL XT
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/100"
F9
ISO: 100
CS3

Tripod, black foam board as the bg.

I wish spring would hurry up and get here! :)

Allen Sparks
02-21-2010, 09:10 AM
wow Ken this looks great to me! Love the focus, lighting, and the inclusion of the flower buds. Nice image.

Dave Mills
02-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi Ken, Very pretty!Beautiful lighting,sharp and really pops due to the backround. I would suggest you lighten the stem at the bottom. Nicely handled...

Charles Wesley
02-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Ken,

Why have I not seen more of your floral photos? This is really well done. Like the color, contrast, detail and lighting. Dave's suggestion to lighten the stem would put it over the top.

Love it...

Julie Brown
02-21-2010, 12:58 PM
We all want spring, Ken. Look how many flowers and butterflies we have been posting!:D

I like your treatment here. Nice color and texture-set off nicely by the background. Did you buy the Lily?

Ken Childs
02-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Charlie, I'll post some more flower shots in the near future but what I really want are some fresh ones from my garden to shoot. The daffodils are up but it will probably be a few weeks before they bloom.

Julie, this shot is from a previous spring. These orange Daylilies grow wild here.

Markus Jais
02-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Great shot. Fantastic colors and light. I like the black BG here.

Markus

Mike Moats
02-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Hey Ken, I like the comp, nice sharp details and works well with the black BG.:)

Jackie Schuknecht
02-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Very rich colours on the lily which stands out really well from the BG.

Ed Cordes
02-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Super color and detail. I agree that lightening the stem would be good.

Vida van der Walt
02-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Beautiful image Ken. Agree with all that has been said.:)

Harshad Barve
02-22-2010, 08:21 AM
This is ridiculously (http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&ei=2ISCS9L_K5K0rAft4-SzBw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CBAQBSgA&q=ridiculously&spell=1) beautiful image
TFS

Julie Kenward
02-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Ken, what a dramatic tiger lily you have here! I'm going to have to bring some of mine indoors this summer and throw them in front of this great black BG as well!

I'm going to pass on a tip that someone gave me when I first started posting floral images here at BPN and that's to always watch where your pistol and stamen are in relation to the rest of the flower. It seems very picky but it can really take a great image over the top. Here you have the pistol out in full view against the black backdrop and that's terrific...but now look at where the stamen are falling - two of them are right against the part of the petal that is almost exactly the same color as they are. A bit of a step to the left and they might have all moved to the lighter orange area and you would have clearly seen every one of them and not lost any to the blending in of the petal's edge. As I said, it's a VERY picky point but when you get it right - good separation and all of them against a different shade or color - it seems to make them all "pop".

In any case, it's a gorgeous lily and the detail on it and the green buds is superb.

And yes, after two inches of sleet and a few more inches of snow yesterday I WANT SPRING!!!!! :eek:

Stuart Frohm
02-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Wow! Thanks for posting.
Any additional information on the lighting would be welcome.

Ken Childs
02-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Wow! Thanks for posting.
Any additional information on the lighting would be welcome.
It's natural spring sunlight which is something I would really like to see right now. :)

The black foam board looks OK with some flowers but with orange flowers, it really makes them pop!