PDA

View Full Version : Having a Look

Stu Bowie
02-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Going through more old files and came across this. Although in early morning light, and good colours, I decided to post this in B&W. Taken in January 2008, in a small nature reserve close to my house. I decided to leave the flowers behind both Zebra's. Notice there is a youngster nestled between them.

Canon 20D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/2000
F/8
ISO 400

Exp Comp 0
Hand Held

Austin Thomas
02-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Hi Stuart,

I like the two main head positions and the exposure looks good. It would have been great if the youngster had moved into the space between the two adult heads.
A little tight at the bottom possibly for the virtual legs.

tfs

Austin

Harshad Barve
02-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Stuartbhai , beautiful image with nice HA and compowise I liked it as posted , But I would love to see this in colors
TFS

Sabyasachi Patra
02-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Good one. It takes some time to figure out that there is a calf. Gives a good idea how confusing it can be to see the stripes. The composition is fine. The raised tail is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Roman Kurywczak
02-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Hi Stuart,
I think Zebras make for good B&W conversions. I do think a bit of dodging on the calf face/snout will give it a touch more seperation. I like the tight presentation as any more FG grasses would be a distraction for my tastes.

Ed Cordes
02-21-2010, 06:12 PM
It took me a while to see all the details in the foal. I agree with Roman about a bit of dodging. Overall I like the B&W effect and the HA on the adults.

Vida van der Walt
02-22-2010, 02:08 AM
Very striking B&W conversion Stu. Ditto great HA's and a lovely comp. I would also like to see the colour version (esp if there are some of those little purple flowers that grow there in the bg). :)

Marc Mol
02-22-2010, 05:13 AM
A very nice B&W here Stuart with good contrast and HA on the adults, would love to have had the youngster in the clear also, comp looks good to me. Another vote to see in colour also.
TFS

Todd Frost
02-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Nice comp. Love the b/w and would also enjoy seeing the color version. Good advice given re: dodging face on foal. Well done. TFS
Todd

Alfred Forns
02-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Hi Stuart Good B&W conversion, like the contrast on both. Agree on the lightening of the face and with these type you can always find something else to do !!! Not sure if you were able having both with such good head turns and the baby away !!! Fine image !!!

Steve Canuel
02-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey Stuart,
Love the striping in the BG :). Real nice job on the contrast of the zebras. THe whites look bright but not overdone to my eye. Also like the positions of the animals. The blurred FG and BG gives them nice depth.

Stu Bowie
02-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Thank you all for the great feedback and comments. Much appreciated.