PDA

View Full Version : Malachite Kingfisher

Gerrie van Vuuren
02-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Perch a bit heavy for such a small bird, but that's where he chose to sit.

1D MKIII
300mm f/2.8 + 1.4x convertor
ss 1/2500
f/7.1
ISO 640

Elmar Venter
02-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Eish, Gerrie you are the kingfisher king. Great sharpness, catchlight and the droplets make this image.

Jory Griesman
02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Agree with Elmar, and add good comp, but I might take a bit off the top. In terms of Gerrie's comment on the perch - it's obviously appropriately sized if it's where the bird chooses to stand! I don't fret much about how large/small a perch is.

Fabs Forns
02-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Can I moved near you and carry your bags????? :)

Last two posts make me want to use my f/f miles ;)

Beautiful light, pose, BG and subject, congrats!

Daniel Cadieux
02-20-2010, 03:50 PM
I really like this image except that I wish we could see more of the blue wing. I can never get past how tiny their feet are!! Ideal perch size is quite dependant on species' size and posture...if a Chickadee or Kinglet were on it, for example, I'd think it was too large. For a KF, especially with this one's upright posture, it looks great:)

Harshad Barve
02-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Can I moved near you and carry your bags????? :)

One more person who is ready to carry your bags.

This is just too good on all counts. Few water drops on breast of KF are killing one. This one is target species when I visit Africa. Big congrats for this
TFS

Stu Bowie
02-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Hey Gerrie, you have brought out the colours nicely, pin, and the droplets add to the image. That BG is a killer. Is this a recent capture, as he seems to be perching closer to the hide.