PDA

View Full Version : Mallard

Katie Rupp
02-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Mallards are so common but I've always admired that beautiful green head, especially in the right light. I think I should have had more dof here but I do like single blade of grass on the bill and the water drop. C&C encouraged and greatly appreciated.

1d3; f4,1/1600;iso 800; 500f4

Axel Hildebrandt
02-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Sharpness, angle and soft light look very good. I might put the bird a tad further to the right in the frame and if it were mine, I might remove the blade of grass on the bill.

Randy Stout
02-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Katie:

Excellent job showing the green sheen. The light angle has to be just right to get it over most of the head.
Agree about the DOF. With the light you had, you could have traded a bit of SS for aperture.

It isn't always easy to do it in the field, but when you have an opportunity, try various settings after you get the first couple of shots in the can, and see what you can do with the image.

Another vote for removing the grass. I know its a bit different, but I would be inclined to remove it.

Cheers

Randy

Katie Rupp
02-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Thank you, Axel and Randy; I appreciate the comments/advice and the blade of grass is a great example of personal preferences...:)

Gerrie van Vuuren
02-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Like the angle, eye contact & droplet. I'm also for removing the blade of grass.

Daniel Cadieux
02-20-2010, 01:59 PM
I'll go for keeping the grass - makes it a bit different than all the other mallard portraits;). Axel, I'm sure you meant putting the bird further to the LEFT? It's already pretty darn close to the right edge...

Martin Wallis
02-20-2010, 03:08 PM
I'd also keep the grass, I like the green sheen on the head and the whole head/beak area is very sharp. Well done.

Stu Bowie
02-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Katie, good exposure on those greens, and the hanging droplet puts this over the top. Im sure Axel meant moving him to the left.

Dave Leroy
02-21-2010, 11:21 AM
I like the bed raggled look of the duck. Nicely done. I would also keep the grass. Mallards always look so happy! Well done. Dave