PDA

View Full Version : NeNe showing it's stuff

Steven Read
02-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Shot with EOS 1dMk111, 600mm. f4, non is, 1.4 mult. Location: Lakes behind Marriott Hotel,Lihue, Kauai, HI.( Birds on property used to be managed but not for last 10 years or so) 5:00PM. F5.6 @200. Just starting to use PS4. Used Robert OTooles APTATS 2. Selective noise reduction and sharpening. Quite help-full for a beginner w/ Photo-shop and w/ Roberts help. Instead of noise reduction I used blur on background and smart sharpen on Ne Ne. Normally a studio and sports photographer so any help would be appreciated. Had trouble with the sizing and all so just sent myself an email with another program. Hope the sizing and load times are OK. Thank You, Steve Read PS.. I know this shot is way not sharp..But just thought it was cool to see the goslings strutting thier stuff. Next on will be sharp!! Steve

Lance Peters
02-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Hi Steven - a big warm welcome to the BPN Family :)
Birds are certainly different to studio shooting --- Looks a little soft on my screen, your shutter speed is a little slow for the focal length you were using - general rule of thumb is 1 over the focal length as a minimum so here about 1/900th to ensure sharp results.

You bird is facing/flying away from the camera - best to be facing towards the camera. Lots of good reading and advice in the educational resources forum - Arties book is also invaluable.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Steven Read
02-20-2010, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback Lance. Just bought this older 600MM non IS and It's taking quite some getting use to! Heavy, but not so bad on a Wimberley. I guess I have a few sharper images but I liked this image because it provoked a feeling in me. It's kind of like a young woman looking over shoulder saying ,"Like what you see?"I am intrigued by the patterns and rhythm of the feathers. Yes, naturally it should be sharper and next time it will be but I will always, hopefully, be moved by natures beauty. Never thought I would be comparing a bird to a beautiful woman.. Getting old but perhaps a little wiser. Thanks for that info on the shutter speed rule, will come in handy. Steve. Got a lot to learn..

Alfred Forns
02-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Big Warm Welcome Steven I like your idea of creating a certain type image and hope you continue !!!

We do have guidelines as Lance pointed out which are helpful and will apply most times ... not always !!!
Do like the feel of this image with the tight crop and what you are trying to show !!

Sharp would have been great and as pointed out need the shutter speed!! Even with at 1/1600 the bird would have been sharp but not the wing tips, those are really motoring !!!

With the non IS lens you are losing two stops (approx) but its easy to make up with the new digital cameras cranking up the ISO !! Converter wise remember it will slow down the AF and if using one make sure you have the latest model the 1.4 11 Has been around for a while !! Looking forward to the next one !!!

Steven Read
02-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Alfred, thank you for your comments. appreciate both you and Lance taking the time to share your knowledge. There is no better gift! I have the latest Mk.11 converter but using older muscles, nerves and brain..Guess I will have to start saving for the Mk IV, Canon.. It's obvious that I'm going to need the use of a higher ISO.. I hope by using the articles, photos, responses and suggestions from this site, something will sink in. It's refreshing to observe an avenue where so many are willing to share so much..Again, Thank You, Steve

Harshad Barve
02-25-2010, 05:47 AM
Hi Steve , excellent advise by Lance and Alfred, Just to add , with 1DMIII you should get noiseless images at ISO 1600 , dont be shy to boost ISO on 1DMIII
TFS

BTW My fav ISO is 200 :)