PDA

View Full Version : Home Studio Design Suggestions

Todd Fibus
02-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey Folks....
I've been super busy with work and trying to help design and build a new home so haven't been here in quite a while. (As an aside, I did get away to Yellowstone earlier this month and have photos posted on my website at www.pbase.com/toddao...highly (http://www.pbase.com/toddao...highly) recommend Yellowstone in the winter!)

But the reason I'm posting now is to solicit input and ideas of what to consider in an ideal home studio. We're finalizing the design for our new home, and I'm including a photo processing/printing/framing studio. So far I've told our designer to include deep countertops so that I can cut mats and frame, shallow drawers for paper, mats, etc., computer hookups and printer stand, and wall space for a wall-mounted mat cutter.

I'm wondering if there's anything else I should be considering that I haven't thought of....Appreciate any other ideas you all might have included in your home studios...

Best Regards,
Todd

Jim Michael
02-19-2010, 07:04 AM
You'll find a large workspace at a convenient standing height located in the center of the work area useful. Also, allow for a wide printer and sufficient output receival area in the event you decide to go to a much larger format than you currently envision.

LouBuonomo
02-19-2010, 08:46 AM
When you say studio do you mean to actually photograph in ? If it is people a long space with high ceilings with lots of GFI protected outlets.. also it is nice to have a bathroom near by and some place for a few full length mirrors.

My little basement studio doesnt cut it as it really isn't deep enough to get people away from the BG enough...

Todd Fibus
02-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the replies Jim and Lou... Jim, I hadn't considered a center island but that's a great idea. Lou, I actually also hadn't thought about using the studio to actually photograph in, but that's also a good idea. I do enjoy doing flower macros with a black mat background...that may also be a good use for the center island! Todd