PDA

View Full Version : Copycat Or Not

Mike Moats
02-18-2010, 04:23 PM
<TABLE class=bbs_text border=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%" bgColor=#efefef><TBODY><TR><TD>Interesting post on a photographer that has claimed another photographer copied their work. We do this in landscapes all the time. Just think Ansel Adams could say everyone that shot all the Icons in Yosemite copied him. What do you think?
http://www.pdnpulse.com/2010/02/copycat-or-not-part-ii-the-plot-thickens-with-more-comparison-images.html</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=bbs_text border=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%" bgColor=#efefef><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fabs Forns
02-18-2010, 04:28 PM
In the first example, the copycat certainly improved the "original" I wonder if he had the exclusive of getting that view or Paris from the river, I have one myself older than his!!! He probably copied me :)

Jamie Strickland
02-18-2010, 04:49 PM
if it was one /two photos you could say coincidence but there seems to be an awful lot of photos that are the same in the first series, so to me it looks like it was studied / copied

Mike Moats
02-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Hey Fabs, email him and let him know:D I'm sure that will make his day.:(

Ákos Lumnitzer
02-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Yep. Copycat. He should be hung drawn and quartered. What a dope! (the one whining like some little baby about being copied) :eek:

Marina Scarr
02-18-2010, 07:32 PM
From where I am sitting he is a copycat. It appears obvious that the second photographer had to have studied the originals and then set out to photograph at the same spots. It's difficult for me to understand why the copycat would not have preferred using his own artistic prowess...unless of course, he didn't have any of his own. Ultimately, I would think the copycat would lose his respectability.

Fabs Forns
02-18-2010, 08:01 PM
They are all very well known landmarks photographed by thousands of people. In the grand scheme of a photographer, 6 images that receive millions of visitors a year hardly quality as copycat.
In fact, what is so exciting about the pics to want to copy them???????

Eric Virkler
02-18-2010, 08:10 PM
As they say "Imitation is the greatest form of flattery". Too bad he didn't see it that way.

Eric

Faces of Nature Photography
www.ericjvirkler.com (http://www.ericjvirkler.com)

Ed Cordes
02-18-2010, 10:45 PM
I guess I am in the minority? I always thought we all copy icons at one time or another. Then, after getting the traditional image we strive to get one representing our one take on the icon.

Roger Clark
02-18-2010, 11:28 PM
They are all very well known landmarks photographed by thousands of people. In the grand scheme of a photographer, 6 images that receive millions of visitors a year hardly quality as copycat.

I agree.

Roger

Roger Clark
02-18-2010, 11:32 PM
I guess I am in the minority? I always thought we all copy icons at one time or another. Then, after getting the traditional image we strive to get one representing our one take on the icon.

No you are not in the minority. I agree. Many tourist locations have gazillions of the same photo. The challenge, which is getting harder and harder is to get that same scene with something different, like unusual lighting, clouds, etc.

Roger

Lance Peters
02-19-2010, 12:39 AM
Another interesting discussion - applies to music to!!! What about all our fav sixities bands that borrowed heavily from the old bluesmen??
Hard one to call - if he took the photograph - isn't the photograph his?? How many other nearly identical shots exist??? (Different scenario to if he didn't actually take the photograph)

Interesting

Marc Mol
02-19-2010, 07:00 AM

Exactly Fabs, to say he is a copycat is ludicrous!

Marina Scarr
02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Sure the photograph is his and he didn't do anything wrong or unethical. My opinion is copycat b/c this case appears to be more than a coincidence and b/c rather than using his own artistic ability, he appears to prefer following in someone else's footsteps. That is what appears to be a bit ludicrous to me.

Fabs Forns
02-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Then most of us are copycatting Artie Morris ;)

William Malacarne
02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
How many pages do we need?

http://images.google.com/images?q=red%20rose&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Bill

Chris Ober
02-19-2010, 10:31 AM
We're all copy-cats to some extent.

How many birds on sticks images with clean backgrounds are out there? Just an example...

From where I am sitting he is a copycat. It appears obvious that the second photographer had to have studied the originals and then set out to photograph at the same spots. It's difficult for me to understand why the copycat would not have preferred using his own artistic prowess...unless of course, he didn't have any of his own. Ultimately, I would think the copycat would lose his respectability.

Chris Hansen
02-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Just an interesting note. there is a group of photographers that have been trying to duplicate some of Ansel Adams works down to the time of day and the exact location of his tripod. they study his images to determine angles of the sun etc. A form of flattery i would think.

God bless,

chris

Jeff Donald
02-19-2010, 08:41 PM

Of the thousands of people that have photographed the landmarks, how many have organized the images into a show almost the same as another (Leong) photographer's? How many copied the artist's statement? Leong only contacted a lawyer after his publsiher went to a gallery show in Vancouver and found almost the entire show was a copy of his work, including his artist statement. What are the odd's of putting a show together of almost all the same images? Sorry, but too many similarities for me.

It's one thing to stand near the same location of another photographer and produce similar, if not nearly identical images. But to put together a gallery exhibit of so many similar images is an issue in my mind. Others seem to feel the same way because Burdeny's gallery in Calgary cancelled a future exhibit and removed some images from the galleries web site.

Fabs Forns
02-19-2010, 08:55 PM
In spite of being a Publisher, I'm entitled to my opinion. The "original" pictures look like snapshots to me, and the "copycats" like really artistic and with a vision. Galleries would take a CMA policy at any controversies.

Respectfully,

Danny J Brown
02-20-2010, 07:45 AM
We're all copy-cats to some extent.

How many birds on sticks images with clean backgrounds are out there? Just an example...

Hey Chris - You just helped me to realize that I might not be a copycat because my backgrounds are never clean enough and my sticks seem to always have "distracting elements." Thank you!:)

Axel Hildebrandt
02-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Aside from originality and quality, I find this very interesting and am wondering what the outcome of the lawsuit will be.

It would be interesting to know how teachers would react in a similar situation when students adopt a concept without giving credit.

Roger Clark
02-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Of the thousands of people that have photographed the landmarks, how many have organized the images into a show almost the same as another (Leong) photographer's? How many copied the artist's statement?

Jeff,
That is a little strange. Are the two artist's statements posted somewhere? Although I would say that I find most photographer's statements very similar.

Leong only contacted a lawyer after his publsiher went to a gallery show in Vancouver and found almost the entire show was a copy of his work, including his artist statement. What are the odd's of putting a show together of almost all the same images? Sorry, but too many similarities for me.

Seems pretty odd. I do find Burdeny's images much more artistic, and they are common locations; I've got a few of the same locations and similar images myself, e.g. Mont St Michel, river Seine (in the 1980's, 1990s, 2000s), though I would have to dig out my slides/digital files to see just how close they are.

It's one thing to stand near the same location of another photographer and produce similar, if not nearly identical images. But to put together a gallery exhibit of so many similar images is an issue in my mind. Others seem to feel the same way because Burdeny's gallery in Calgary cancelled a future exhibit and removed some images from the galleries web site.

I agree it is very strange. But I would like to see a little more about the percentage of same photos. Because Burdeny did his own photographs it is hard to say he copied Leong's work. He copied style, but I don't think that can/was copyrighted. I am not passing my personal judgment until I see more details. But I agree it is strange.

Roger

Roman Kurywczak
02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Of the thousands of people that have photographed the landmarks, how many have organized the images into a show almost the same as another (Leong) photographer's? How many copied the artist's statement? Leong only contacted a lawyer after his publsiher went to a gallery show in Vancouver and found almost the entire show was a copy of his work, including his artist statement. What are the odd's of putting a show together of almost all the same images? Sorry, but too many similarities for me.

I agree that the show arrangement is more than a coincidence......but am I mistaken or do curators put together exhibits with little or no input from the artist? Did the artist arrange the photos?....or did the curator? Until this is answered.....we can't blame the photographer. As for similarities......no 2 days in nature are exactly alike. There are probably 10 billion images of delicate arch....even in the same tripod holes.....no 2 identical. Same for bird on stick. Very few images are goundbreaking.....so in some form.....we are all copycats. that being said.....no 2 images are exactly the same....even if you are standing tripod to tripod. I see enough differences in the images to call them different....as to the arrangement.....let's see who arranged it......but even if it was the photog.......not sure it warrants any $$$ damages.....otherwise check your table settings....house layout...etc. I'm sure we should have better things to spend out time and resources on than someone copying a style.

Fabs Forns
02-20-2010, 04:37 PM
In fact, the only copy I can see is the location. The offender clearly has a much more artistic way to present the landmarks. Maybe they both bought the same travel book ;)

Robert Amoruso
02-22-2010, 09:18 AM
In fact, the only copy I can see is the location. The offender clearly has a much more artistic way to present the landmarks. Maybe they both bought the same travel book ;)

All the other things aside, Burdeny work is much better and more artistic. I prefer them much more. I agree with Fabiola.